Blog Post #6: Virtual Lesson (Habitats)

This virtual lesson asks students to visit the National Geographic Kids website to read about different types of habitats. After learning more information, the students will complete a drag and drop activity on Google Classroom, where they will drag and drop food, water, and shelter to the correct animal.

Content:

• Living Systems 2.5 The student will investigate and understand that living things are part of a system. Key concepts include: b) an animal’s habitat includes adequate food, water, shelter or cover, and space.
  • The focus of the lesson is understanding the definition of a habitat and the components of a habitat (food, water, shelter, and space).
  • Misconceptions: Students may have difficulty understanding the different habitats that animals inhabit, habitats of domestic vs. wild animals, and the difference between shelter and space (shelter: something that protects the animal vs. space: area to roam)

Pedagogy:

• The students will learn through the research of habitats on the National Geographic Kids website and the practice and application of knowledge by completing the drag and drop activity.

Technology:

• The students will use two forms of technology during this lesson: the National Geographic Kids website (https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/explore/nature/habitats/) and Google Classroom (online drag and drop activity).

Pedagogical-Content Knowledge (PCK):

• Through their research and practice using the knowledge learned through research (pedagogy), the students will learn what a habitat is, the components of a habitat, and different types of habitats (content).

Technological-Content Knowledge (TCK):

• The different types of habitats and their components (content) can be accessed through the National Geographic Kids articles on habitats and can be assessed using the Google Classroom drag and drop activity (technology).

Technological-Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPK):

• The students’ research of habitats (pedagogy) is supported by the National Geographic Kids website (technology) and the practice using the knowledge learned through research (pedagogy) is supported by the Google Classroom drag and drop activity (technology).

Google Classroom Class Code: h2ihxgm 

3 thoughts on “Blog Post #6: Virtual Lesson (Habitats)

• February 27, 2019 at 7:10 pm

This is a great activity, the webpage on National Geographic is very informative and interactive. I love how it engages young students with the color and graphics. The google doc form was a little confusing, maybe try adding the directions into the google doc as well.

• February 27, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Your google classroom was great, I enjoyed using the interact national geographic website that you had chosen for the assignment. I was able to find all the info I needed to be able to answer the worksheet. The worksheet was actually my favorite part of the assignment as it was easy to navigate and the directions were clear.

As a virtual assignment, it fit everything I was looking in this platform. I was able to use the website to learn about the content independently and was able to go back and read again if necessary. The only thing I would change to improve is to give the students more precise directions of what to use on the webpage. At first, the webpage can be daunting and some of the links were not for the content area.

Great Lesson!

• February 27, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Overall, I thought the lesson would be really fun for kids and they would enjoy doing it but the worksheet I could see maybe kids would be slightly confused but I do like the worksheet you created and think kids would enjoy it as well.