Blog Post #8: Formative & Summative Assessments

Measurement and Geometry SOL 1.8 The student will determine the value of a collection of like coins (pennies, nickels, or dimes) whose total value is 100 cents or less.

Assessment Google Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xNWYcRLdz4RmfvhK4os8weky_8psS1HOB_lGVcPNIbw/edit?usp=sharing

Formative Assessment (Money Making Review): https://goformative.com/formatives/5c8feb662e7ff04f6aba0e02

Instructions for Students:

• Go to goformative.com/join
  • Enter the code: NWERJK
  • Complete the review quiz
  • *For my classroom, I would post this to my Google Classroom website to make it more easily accessible for students.*

For my formative assessment on determining the value of coins whose value is 100 cents ($1.00) or less, I chose to try out an LMS/application called Formative, through which teachers can create formative assessments in order to assess students and check for understanding of material across all subjects. Formative allows teachers to create new assessments, as well as use/edit assessments created by other teachers. For this purpose, I chose to use an already-existing assessment on this topic; however, I did edit the wording and answer choices for a couple of the questions. I like this particular assessment because it includes a video so that students can practice their money counting skills and gain a better understanding. I also like how it has different types of questions, including short answer, true/false, and multiple choice, and covers material that is important for first grade students to know about determining the value of coins and counting money.

Upon completing my assessment, I found that the format is straight-forward and can be easily understood by elementary school students. As mentioned before, I enjoyed the video because it is an additional resource that can be used to enhance student understanding. I also feel as though the first question asking the student to rate his/her level of comfort with money is important because it quickly informs the teacher of students’ individual attitudes toward the content and whether or not the student may need additional support.

4 thoughts on “Blog Post #8: Formative & Summative Assessments

• March 20, 2019 at 7:38 pm

I liked your lesson a lot. I thought the assessment you created was good, I liked how you incorporated different types of questions. I think that will keep your students more engaged as they are doing it. I do think they could possible get confused on how to do the questions that they have to draw the answer but that is something easily fixed by just showing the students how to do it before hand.

• March 25, 2019 at 5:12 pm

I really enjoyed your lesson as it was straight forward and let students engage with the material in multiple ways. I really could not find any flaws in the assessment as long as some of the usages of the program are pre-informed to the students. As for another assessment that could be used for this content, a sheet could be made in google classroom that allows images of money to be dragged around in order to make a certain amount. Although this is not even close to as good of an assessment as you have already created Great post!

• April 1, 2019 at 11:16 pm

I shared it with you! Let me know if you still can’t access it.