Blog Post #10: Social Media Lesson

SOL:  English 3.5 The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of fictional text and poetry. (i. identify the main idea)

Learning Outcome: Given a teacher-facilitated classroom Twitter with poems and passages from fictional text and a course-related hashtag, the student will be able to choose a text from the Twitter (or one of their own), identify the main idea, and tell why it is meaningful to them via Twitter.

TPACK:

Content: SOL 3.5 The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of fictional text and poetry. (i. identify the main idea)

• The focus will be on identifying the main idea of a poem or fictional text.
  • Students may have more difficulty identifying the main idea of a fictional passage because it may not be as clear as the main idea of a poem.

Pedagogy: Social interaction (discussion via social media)

Technology: Twitter

Pedagogical-Content Knowledge (PCK):

• Social interaction and discussion allows students to ask questions of their teacher and/or peers and communicate their understanding of the main idea of their chosen text.

Technological-Content Knowledge (TCK):

• As a social media platform, Twitter allows students to demonstrate their understanding of a main idea of a poem or fictional text in a way that is public for the teacher and peers.

Technological-Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK):

• Students are able to engage in social interaction and discussion via Twitter.

Assessment: Students will choose a text or poem of their liking from the classroom Twitter account or elsewhere. They will retweet with a comment using the class hashtag, identifying the main idea and telling why the text is meaningful to them. All of the responses will be able to be viewed through the specific hashtag, which will also allow for both the students and the teacher to communicate back and forth.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post #10: Social Media Lesson

• April 3, 2019 at 1:26 pm

I love this idea, due to the hashtag the teacher should easily be able locate the responses to the other students. The teacher will need to keep up with the twitter page, posting new poems and content for the students to follow along with. With that being said because this work is due to the teacher keeping up, I feel this could be complicated. Maybe finding random poems on twitter and responding to those would be more beneficial.

• April 3, 2019 at 8:26 pm

I really like this idea! I think it does assess what it needs to asses. Maybe you could use Pinterest or instagram to find poems! I have a lot of quotes and poems saved on my phone from them!