Still There as an Reminder

So, after I sent my laundry into the washer down the block, I decided to head over to a medium strip of land that’s right across the empty granite pedestal that once housed the bronze statue of Stonewall Jackson and his Horse. I laid down toward the cool grass, the earth touches my backside. I hear the sounds of insects and streetcars as I’m in between two lanes of roads.

I could have just stopped at that and walk back toward my nearby apartment. But, it wasn’t enough. I decided to head forward toward the other side of the medium strip, to where Robert E. Lee Memorial.

Surrounding by a fence of concrete slabs, I’ve entered closer to the Robert E. Lee Monument where I was greeted with two signs sign.

First,

“Gathering Place for the People” “Remove Riot Gear to Quality”.

A reminder of how despite the VCU policy of 10 or more people can be punishable due to the CO-VID situation.

I’ve understood that policy, that it’s should stand when VCU forbid large parties to prevent the spread of CO-VID.

However, when the policy involves those students protesting toward an injustice, I believe that rule should be voided.

When on September 2, 2020. When there were plans for the people to gather in unison in protest. VCU/Richmonds response was to send in the calvary in the form of police cars that still hover the park each night to intimidates any student who dares fight for what’s right. https://bit.ly/325jFWr

And the Second,

A sign for “NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE” “DECLARATION OF HUMANITY”

Please read and sign the Declaration of Humanity. The demands set forth in this Declaration, calls for people of color who are suffering from unfair and misguided laws, to be dignified. Removal of the confederate flags is only one area that we feel disrespected. After the killing of George Floyd, we were finally able to bring this disrespect and mistreatment into the light.

All people should be with us to make this stand, not just people of color. Everyone should want just and fair treatment for all people.

As in the past, the youth must be the people to usher in this new day. They are at the table with us and on the front lines. Let’s join them in standing up for justice!

A reminder of what people in 2020 are fighting for. Not my favorite year, but something that we should learned from to reflect on the mistakes of the past and moving forward with the future generation

I was then, greeting with a grim reminder of the past. A relic for 2nd place in the Civil War. A representation of the injustices people of color still have to faced to this day. It’s reminded me of the Berlin Wall. Filled with graffiti from individuals who want change toward the corruption of our police system. I know that in the future, when it’s finally time to remove that statue. I can hear the cheering of people who want to move forward from the ignorance and bigatory of the past. It’s won’t immediately stopped the corruption, but the day of its removal will be a step in the right direction.

Down below are memorials dedicated to each black individuals who was killed due to police brutality and ignorance. I’ve an moment of silent for those who the families whose loved one were killed. Pictured are some of the memorials that are there. There are just so many to read.

I’ve then walk across to the other sides of the park where I was greeted with something I didn’t expected. An garden that was dedicated to Marcus-David Peters, a RVA teacher who was killed by RVA police. It was a nice memorial where the area was filled with life via an community-owned garden filled with vegetables, and insects. I saw a member of the RVA community who was tending to the living garden as if he was a guardian of this place.

I’ve then sat down by the nearby Stone Fence and reflected upon myself in silence. I believe I was there for around 15 minutes as the sun gazes at me with content. I watched nearby visitors who brought their kids in that gave me hope for the next generation to be full of bigotry. It gave me regrets for the racial tension I saw during the 4th grade in which my best friend at the time who was black was faced with racial prejudice at the time. I don’t remember when it happens but I do remember that when I and another close individual was asked to be sent to the office and ask us about if he was acting suspiciously at all (I believe that they thought he was selling drugs). Another time is when I’ve invited him over to my house and my grandmother was very racist toward him due to the color of his skin. I didn’t realize it at the time, but when I did realize the racial tension that my friend faced, I felt sick to my stomach. He did move toward the end of the 4th grade and we never did get in touch with one another. I do wish to contact him and thank him for being my friend. I was also reflected upon the words of my mother who told me to not participate in these protests due to fear of my safety.  I know that my mom feared for my life, but I can’t let fear take over fighting for what life. Whenever the next major protest happens in RVA. I know that I will be there fighting for what’s right. I was there for around half an hour. After that, I’ve quietly got off the stone fence and quietly walks home and sent my clothes to the dryer.

2 thoughts on “Still There as an Reminder

1. Kevin, these photos are so tragically beautiful. It’s amazing to visit each former monument because each of them hold so many new stories that have been given a voice over this past summer. It really is an experience to go out there and absorb each one. It’s kind of chilling, but at the same time they hold hope for a better future.