Call me Dr. J

Hello all!  I have been studying sociology since I was an undergrad at Radford University where I received my B.S. in 1989! I then moved on to Virginia Commonwealth University where I received my M.S. in sociology. I finished my studies at University of Virginia where I received my PhD in sociology. My areas of interest focus on the intersection of gender, sexuality and capitalism, specifically looking at how the online commercial pornography industry functions to make a profit.

I have one son who plays lots of hockey!  We are big Capitals fans.  Here is a picture of us at a Caps game…6.20.14 045

I also ride horses in my spare time.

I am looking forward to a great semester…GO CAPS!

Dr. J

Published by Jennifer A. Johnson

Chair and Associate Professor of Sociology Research focuses on analyzing the political economy of the online commercial pornography network by mapping the organizational network of its economic structure to better understand how it markets its product to men. Hobbies include hockey, horses and beer...in that order :-) GO CAPS!

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

1. Dr. J,
    I did not see a link to add my introduction on the main page, so I will post mine here.

Hello class, my name is Brandon Grines and I love life. I graduated two years ago but I’m not yet in the masters program, so I’m kind of in limbo status here at VCU. A year ago this time I was traveling through SE Asia teaching English and it was the best thing I’ve ever done. I am the oldest of 5 and in my spare time I like to ride motorcycles and play sports. I look forward to learning about sociological theory and meeting yall.