Grabbing the Intangible

Happiness. The word itself conjures up completely different images all depending on the unique individual. Even then, moments later, they may define the exact same word again as something entirely different. It’s this beauty that keeps us constantly striving to achieve it, despite all its fluidity.

The first few weeks of the class have been rather eye-opening. Until this semester I had never spent time reflecting on events throughout the day or testing myself and how I am moving along in life as with the Keyes’ flourishing scale. I was pleased to see that I was flourishing, but there is definitely still room for improvement and I feel like I’ve taken on a new outlook in trying to better myself after using it. I personally see the function of this scale as giving you a baseline test and causing you to try to better yourself regardless of the result, because while happiness itself is intangible, it gives you something to see in numbers and on paper. This will help you to see yourself differently and in a more positive light.

The most important thing I’ve learned so far has to be epigenetics and the changes that can arise just from a simple trigger in the environment. It fascinates me to see how things can be so easily passed down just from one generation and changed in the next due to the experiences of the one passing it on. In school we are taught about how long evolution takes so it just baffles me how easily it can happen so easily and so observably.

The mindfulness practices are slowly finding their way into my everyday routine and lifestyle just because It feels as though I can focus on something truly important to ME. It feels great to be able to just focus on the present and myself rather than focusing on a screen and doing things that aren’t of any interest because after all…YOU should be your greatest interest!

Society makes it far to easy to lose track of what actually matters in life. We create all these material possessions and create our own obligations that just draw us further away from ourselves and our own wellbeing. It’s honestly sad because our physical health is so important but mental health is never considered to be that important. Everyone will say mind over matter but they don’t realize the importance of the mind when it comes to health and that the two have to work together in order to be happy. Regardless of happiness’ nature of change, the best thing to remember is to be present and remain at peace with yourself.

Image: http://www.clipartbest.com/clipart-KTjx457Tq

One thought on “Grabbing the Intangible”