The Movie Us [SPOILERS]

This weekend I went to go see the movie Us by Jordan Peele. Let me just start off by saying, I actually shed a single tear in the theater. I haven’t seen a movie that beautiful, that well done, that just blatantly amazing in so long. It was the kind of movie that I could walk out and buy another ticket for the very next showing. The only other movie I’ve seen where I reacted the way I did to Us was Ex Machina, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. 

I want to talk about the controversy around Lupita Nyong’o’s acting for a moment also, because I find it kind of ridiculous that she had to publicly apologize. When discussing her inspiration behind the character Red, she said, “I was inspired by a condition called Spasmodic Dysphonia, which is a neurological disorder, which can be triggered by physical and emotional trauma.” This is when people decided that they had a problem with actors respectfully (key word, respectfully) portraying disabilities, apparently. All I have to really say is that white men like Eddie Redmayne, Tom Hanks, and Leonardo DiCaprio can win Oscars for these kinds of performances, but once a black woman does it better, its controversial and I think that’s screwed up.

One thing that I noticed after watching the film (thanks to Twitter) was that Peele copied a scene from The Shining. When I tell you I yelled, I yelled when I realized. The scene where the twins’ tethered counterparts are laying on the ground resembles the scene exactly where the young twin girls are shown slaughtered in the hallway with the axe. To me that is just… so cool.

Something that I really enjoy about Jordan Peele movies is that he has a comedic character set this sort of comical tone for the film, which constantly has the audience laughing. Even when moments are supposed to be serious. He leaves this impression through his dialogue and direction that during moments that are highly intense, something funny is about to happen. The scene where Adelaide finally kills Red, the audience behind me was laughing, waiting for Red to say something that would make them laugh. They were already laughing in anticipation of it. I never saw Get Out in theaters, but my friend told me it was the same audience experience with that Jordan Peele film as well. 

I think that when going to see Us, a lot of people overthink the movie. They’re analyzing everything the first time they’re watching it, and the best thing to do, I find especially when it comes to horror films and thrillers, is to simply watch. Take it in. Don’t overthink it.

← Previous post

Next post →

1. Yes, I agree with you believed I watched the movie two weeks ago and it was amazing. I did hear from some people where they were talking about how they didn’t like it because there was a lot of plot holes, which I do agree, but if you don’t focus on that you see how good it really was. When I got home I watched videos to try and understand it a little better especially the ending and man was I shocked with some of the things I missed (that’s what I love about Jordan Peele movies, he makes you have to come back and watch it again to understand it even more). There is one theory going around that I totally agree with which is that Jason is actually a tether too that was switched the real Jason during their last trip there. At first I was “nah” but then I saw some of the evidence they gave up I ended up on board too. You should check out some of the different YouTube videos, they’re really good.

P.S I definitely agree with you about Lupita Nyong’o, there was no reason for her to need to apologize for what so many other white actors have done in the past and received no criticism.

2. I couldn’t agree more with you. I just saw the movie Us last week and when I figured it all out after watching it I was literally shook. I have never watched a movie with a plot twist like this one had. My boyfriend who I went with kept telling me to watch to see if I would figure out the meaning behind it all and eventually I did. Now I don’t know if that is my college mindset kicking in or if it just me paying attention to detail. Either way that was literally one of the best movies I have ever seen. I don’t think that Lupita Nyong’o needed to apologize because in my opinion she was just doing her job. Cuba Gooding Jr. played a role similarly where he played a boy in high school with a disability. If you don’t know the name of it was called “Radio” its a good movie to watch as well. But my point is many actors and actresses have portrayed roles like this and don’t get any backlash from it at all. I couldn’t imagine the movie without her acting her part out. When you think about all the other characters in the movie that played shadows they also acted as if they could have gotten their inspiration from other disabilities. Its all apart of the business to make a movie great. But because Lupita is the main character in this movie she would receive the most backlash because she’s the lead role. But like I said earlier this was definitely a great movie and I would most definitely go see it again if I could.

3. Yes, I saw the movie “Us” as well. It is very unfortunate that Lupita had to apologize after playing that character and the fact that it became controversial as soon as a black woman did it shows how close minded our society is and how society demeans women. I saw Get Out but, I was not a huge fan of it because the hypnotizations just threw me left but I was a fan of Us. There are certain times where I will admit that I was too focused on the movie and I did not just watch it for what it was the first time and analyze later. I tried to analyze everything at one time and sometimes I missed important parts of the movie trying to analyze what I saw before.