Conceptual Network

Whether it be embarrassing, simple, obvious or complex there are no fears of judgement when consulting your computer. They are illuminating the interactions of his physiological and psychological functions, giving the promise of an improved mental health. In one sense of course, any man-made system is intended to help man, to help a man or men outside the system. I have always admired them and wished that I had them. Or two ideas merge, picture two images being layered over one another, select aspects of each one showing through. This kind of system approach to human intellectual effectiveness does not find a ready-made conceptual framework such as exists for established disciplines. If those problems can be solved in such a way as to create a symbiotic relation between a man and a fast information-retrieval and data-processing machine, however, it seems evident that the cooperative interaction would greatly improve the thinking process. And at some point, the parts do not necessarily equal the whole, the idea of emergence. We see the genius in our civilization, we see the next best invention and the next era the world will go through.The idea of populations and products increasing has always been something I was aware of, but in addition to that this passage presented the notion of the complexity of man’s problemsThis to me is slightly unnerving when thinking about the error side of the technology based society. Symbiosis seem to me to be that society today moves to fast for us to realize how quickly we are falling into a technology dependent era. If we are really as caught up in our technologies as implied how will we notice when “…society could fall under the reigns of technology…” Technologies pause on human interaction should be enough to instill second thoughts in most peoples minds about the technological future. The modern thought seems to float around, if we are a good couple and are happy together as we are now, how will marriage change that. Others see how they will be able to lift the citizens of this complexity to help them share in these insights and realize their true potential. He has already dreamed up several basic layouts and structural forms, and is trying them out on the screen. Computer allow for the anonymity, it is a security procedure to Google what you are curious about. The fear of losing that intended life partner is terrifying enough to keep come couples in a constant state of monogamy without a wedding ring.Many indeed have been able to carry on their war research in their familiar peacetime laboratories. Blank walls, white chairs, white floors and ceilings then as soon as thought or idea pops up the room fills with colors and images. Exploring

I chose this image because of the complexity of weaving together all those sentences I wanted an image that could be equally complex and interesting and kind of quirky.

the reasoning behind the way music affects people differently may provide valuable insight into answering the question of why music affects humans so significantly in the first place.

The Argument Experience

So Engelbart’s ideas are about concept networks as we were all told, the ‘nugget’ posted on the assignment page had made me struggle to focus on what our actual assignment is. However, I think concepts are implemented for the best reasons. I decided to Google the definition of concepts just for giggles and found a section of the explanation I find very inspiring, “…derived from specific instances or occurrences.” Going off of what I understand Engelbart to be saying about concept networks seems to be that they are like webs of thoughts. The spider in the middles id the genius scientist and as he or she comes up with more ideas (concepts) the web grows obviously creating that network of ideas. Providing a chain or link from the previous concept to the next allowing the best results to be made from all the investigations and hard work gone into building the original concept.

Analyzing the Obvious

Concept Experience 2:

Why is fire hot? Why Does fire change color? and Why does fire smoke? are just a couple of the questions I asked and I asked Google a lot about fire. Google told me any and all information I could have needed to answer that question in full.  The best part about this computer interaction activity is there are no stupid questions. We all know that if I wear to walk up to any individual and ask why is fire hot, I would either be laughed at, given a very strange look and ignored. Computer allow for the anonymity, it is a security procedure to Google what you are curious about. Whether it be embarrassing, simple, obvious or complex there are no fears of judgement when consulting your computer.  You can feel like those five year olds that have a never ending stream of ‘but why’ questions for the closest person to listen to.  Overall I think this experience can enlighten us on exactly what we depend on our computers for and what we depend on our human interactions for.

Man-Computer Revision

Already being waist deep in the technological advancements it is hard to see the draw backs. The main focus in our modern society is to eliminate that human error and to stream line everything to make it as fast and efficient as possible. This to me is slightly unnerving when thinking about the error side of the technology based society. http://rampages.us/morganabritt/ ideas are shared about the concern of the success of this symbiosis, if unemployment is high now what will happen when technology continues to take over the factory jobs. I liked how,http://rampages.us/eshunk/  relates humans to computers by using the word tools.  It can put to ease some of my concerns about robots taking over the world and burning down all the trees. Linking humans and computers via a tool is great, it implies an equal partnership almost. The computers still need someone to operate them and we the humans need the computers for their recall ‘memory’ of sorts. http://rampages.us/brookerobinson/ has similar views focusing more on taking for granted the dependence we already place on our devices. I am addicted to my phone and certainly do take their availability throughout everyday for granted. With the more blogs I read I can almost begin to be convinced that the inevitable technology takeover that Licklider describes might not be as terrible as I once thought.

http://rampages.us/laikynnicole/ talks about a world where computer are smarter than humans. I agree this is a strange thought but I feel a though it already exists. Calculators, computers and GPS were made to take the thinking away from humans. For the future advancement that she describes it makes perfect sense to me to have a technology run community, again to remove that human error. It could be an immensely good change or be a flop of a society makeover. http://rampages.us/helenakim/ faces similar concerns, I think that the social medias are included in this blog, furthering the point that technology pauses human interaction. Being able to make new friends worldwide is fantastic but how far can these connections last when people are unable to meet up in person to further human bonds. Technologies pause on human interaction should be enough to instill second thoughts in most peoples minds about the technological future.

Man-Computer Nugget

The Man-Computer Symbiosis offers a very realistic view of our changing world today. We have technology that allow skyscrapers to sway and bend with the rhythms of the most intense earthquakes and we have holographic keyboards. “The rise of technology has influenced our lives more greatly than we will ever know, and recognizing when our society could completely fall under the reigns of technology will be vital.” I have a love hate relationship with this particular line of the article, the approach of Man-Computer Symbiosis seem to me to be that society today moves to fast for us to realize how quickly we are falling into a technology dependent era. However this line sounds like it is imply that within this whirlwind of 21st century technology we will be able to stop look around and realized all of the old fashioned quaintness has vanished and everything is flashing lights and metal, so to speak. If we are really as caught up in our technologies as implied how will we notice when “…society could fall under the reigns of technology…”

I liked this picture to go with my nugget, it seemed like a cool depiction of what is to come.

Concept Experience 1.

Going against expectation,  Steven Chapman’s article Is Pornography a Catalyst of Sexual Violence. There are statistics that support the states with the fastest expanse in internet access wielded and equally efficient fall in sexual assaults. This study was conducted in 2007, however the results are still shocking years later. With the negative image pornography has the fact that sexual assaults have decreased is, and more thank likely remain surprising for years to come.

http://reason.com/archives/2007/11/05/is-pornography-a-catalyst-of-s

Marriage percentages have decreased since the percentages of divorces had increased. The fear of losing that intended life partner is terrifying enough to keep come couples in a constant state of monogamy without a wedding ring. The modern thought seems to float around, if we are a good couple and are happy together as we are now, how will marriage change that. Many couples just see it as a big expensive party and are more inclined to skip that and be co-habitants and stay in their relationship without saying the wedding I do’s. Relationships without marriage I do not think are less permanent but for most it seems to be less of a burden. The responsibilities are shared more, usually at least It is becoming the new fad, relationships without marriage, again I think it is the traumatic idea of possibly becoming one of the marriages that end in divorce that keeps many from stepping up to the alter.

Overlooking

Reviewing Our Shady Past mentions an interesting question,  “what do we see as we look over this complexity in this civilization we have built?” We see the genius in our civilization, we see the next best invention and the next era the world will go through. The extreme complexity of the civilization gives society something to strive for. Some may focus on the next best technology source or the next scientific breakthrough. Others see how they will be able to lift the citizens of this complexity to help them share in these insights and realize their true potential. I don’t think the question is in what we see but rather what don’t be see as a consequence of the complex civilization.  The interpersonal complexities are overlooked, the societies growth is shadowed many times by the technological advancements that creates the extreme complexity.

I like the details and the many different angles and colors to look at on this sculpture, this can be my symbol for the complex civilization. The longer you look the more you see

How It Feels When I Think…

Thinking,  creating plans and ideas is like being in a white washed waiting room. Blank walls, white chairs, white floors and ceilings then as soon as thought or idea pops up the room fills with colors and images. Projected on every surface possible the ideas grow brighter and more vibrant, the increase is color showing my increasing support or excitement for the idea. Once the plan is followed through to the end it fades from the room to be replaced by the next one waiting its turn to be unleashed. Or two ideas merge, picture two images being layered over one another, select aspects of each one showing through.

Hello world!

Welcome to Rampages.us.

This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.