As We May Think…Advancements Means Easy Life for Us

Usually for an assignment, I dread to read the whole essay or article because I never find anything interesting at all in the the beginning or introduction. But in Vannaver Bush’s essay, the first paragraph caught me off guard because it made me think how relevant it is to today’s society. The following is a nugget from the essay:

Of what lasting benefit has been man’s use of science and of the new instruments which his research brought into existence? First, they have increased his control of his material environment. They have improved his food, his clothing, his shelter; they have increased his security and released him partly from the bondage of bare existence. They have given him increased knowledge of his own biological processes so that he has had a progressive freedom from disease and an increased span of life. They are illuminating the interactions of his physiological and psychological functions, giving the promise of an improved mental health.

International Space Station (ISS) Launch 

Invention of the Wheel

And cars such as Porsche’s and Lamborghini’s don’t exist right?¬†Telephone

Who did these kind of telephone games as a kid?

Modern Cotton Gin

I couldn’t help myself…

Cotton Gin Funny

Nuclear Power Bombs

The reason why the first paragraph or nugget stood out was because it made me think how far we have come as a society. Technological advances, ideas that have spread throughout the world from one end to another, quicker prevention of illnesses such as the Black Plaque, huge increase in scientific research around the world, increase of weapons for protection, etc.

Robot Rubics Cube

Science Man

6 thoughts on “As We May Think…Advancements Means Easy Life for Us”

1. The pictures that you have put up to support your opinion of the passage is arranged just like a timeline. I like that you used more visuals to show what went through your mind as you read the first paragraph. It makes me also realize that we have come very far as intelligent creatures and we can only go up from here. Currently many children do not know what cassettes or VCRs are, and years later children will probably not know what CDs or non-blue ray DVDs are. Human society will only continue to advance for years to come.

2. I like this! The first paragraph caught me off guard as well. I usually hate long essays and I thought this one was going to be another boring one. Fortunately, it matched up with today’s technological advances, who knew Bush would be such a visionary? It is so amazing to see what we have done since Vannevar Bush’s vision.

3. I hadn’t thought of the effect on weapons technologies while reading this yet! We think that the atomic bomb is pretty much the end all, be all when it comes to destruction. But what if that is only a stepping stone towards the even more advance weapons we could have? That’s a really scary thought. If atomic bombs can destroy whole cities, imagine a larger impact!

just an interesting atomic bomb video to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lquok4Pdk

The impacts of what Bush imagines, on the negative side, are pretty terrifying.

4. The advancements of technology and science are the two topics that really bustles my mind. Through all this growth, everything has made life easier on individuals and has achieved knowledge beyond our imaginations. Each idea feeds off of another to no end… everything continues to progress throughout time and evolution. Bush talks about how the lifespan and health of man has increased due to these developments in technology and science. Though there is much more progress that needs to be done, like finding a cure for cancer, scientists maintain a dominant trail of success.

5. I agree, Virinchi! The first paragraph is very powerful. I enjoyed reading your response to that paragraph and looking at your use of image to supplement your written words. I think you did a good job responding to the passage based on your own experience, but we need to also show how the passage fits into the larger context of the essay as a whole. You might take another peek at the rubric on the course site under grading:)

6. Agreed, weapons technologies had not occurred to me as an example of technological advancements. This post does a great job of visually representing the many advancements we have made in a very short time.