A Mutual Benefit Between Man and Machine

In the world today, technological advancement is rapidly growing, from the eradication of cell-phones to the advancement of smart phones, the unnecessary heavy desktop computers for laptops and now iPads and all kinds of tablets, registers at malls to becoming self checkout counters, and many more. These are only a few examples that can be given.

In J.C.R, Licklider’s essay, I found a particular nugget really interesting to me:

Throughout the period I examined, in short, my “thinking” time was devoted mainly to activities that were essentially clerical or mechanical: searching, calculating, plotting, transforming, determining the logical or dynamic consequences of a set of assumptions or hypotheses, preparing the way for a decision or an insight. Moreover, my choices of what to attempt and what not to attempt were determined to an embarrassingly great extent by considerations of clerical feasibility, not intellectual capability.

The main suggestion conveyed by the findings just described is that the operations that fill most of the time allegedly devoted to technical thinking are operations that can be performed more effectively by machines than by men. Severe problems are posed by the fact that these operations have to be performed upon diverse variables and in unforeseen and continually changing sequences. If those problems can be solved in such a way as to create a symbiotic relation between a man and a fast information-retrieval and data-processing machine, however, it seems evident that the cooperative interaction would greatly improve the thinking process.”

This piece really stood out to me for a specific reason, and that’s because it seems that what Licklider is saying is that we can limit thinking time and improve efficiency by using mankind’s flexibility and a computers accuracy. When a man works with a machine, advancement of society would become the biggest benefactor.

In the world today, one can argue that the rise of technology is causing some sort of problems with mankind. Man vs. technology refers to the consequences that have been brought out as a result of man’s inventions on technological knowledge. One example of a conflict between man and technology is the way man invents an item that later come to destroy him. This can be shown in today’s world is through unemployment. Only a few years ago did we have cashiers regularly checking out customers. Then someone decided it was a fabulous idea to develop self-checkout counters. When I first saw these self-checkout counters, I thought it was a horrendous idea. Who would want to develop a machine that cuts jobs? Finally a bell rang…the answer came to mind and it was businesses, Big corporations would rather save money in the long run by cutting jobs and using machines to save costs. In this case, man is not working with machines, rather it’s a survival of the fittest. These machines can get really annoying however

Self Checkout Counter

Self Checkout Counter 2

Something that has benefited from the cooperation of mankind and technology is what I believe is cell phones. In the world today, communication has never been more important. Whether it’s communicating with coworkers, flirting with ladies, planning events, playing games when boredom arises, or even setting an alarm, a cellphone has it all.  I remember when a phone once had a game called “Snake”, a simple game that would suck all your time and energy until you snake ate all the dots and you got the highest score you could achieve.

SNake

Technology Vs. Papers

Today, cellphones are more interactive. With more technological advancements, these new cellphones lost their names, and now call themselves Smartphone. Do you need a calculator, a calendar, a high-tech device to make you look fancy, a working device for your company, group applications to mass message many people? Look no more, today you have iPhones, GalaxyS5s, HTC, Nokia Lumia, and everything else that myself, and the world keep forgetting due to the ample amount of technology.

The only downside is that sometimes the people who put together these phones can’t afford it….quite the life right?

Phone Charger Length and Third World Problems