An Edit of my Second Nugget

Calvin and Hobbs Duplicator

Let me throw a revised nugget at you.

calvin-hobbes-gif-outside

I thought my last nugget was pretty interesting, but maybe I left out some detail that I had wanted to add! The nugget I had chosen is as follows:

Throughout the period I examined, in short, my “thinking” time was devoted mainly to activities that were essentially clerical or mechanical: searching, calculating, plotting, transforming, determining the logical or dynamic consequences of a set of assumptions or hypotheses, preparing the way for a decision or an insight. Moreover, my choices of what to attempt and what not to attempt were determined to an embarrassingly great extent by considerations of clerical feasibility, not intellectual capability.

The main suggestion conveyed by the findings just described is that the operations that fill most of the time allegedly devoted to technical thinking are operations that can be performed more effectively by machines than by men. Severe problems are posed by the fact that these operations have to be performed upon diverse variables and in unforeseen and continually changing sequences. If those problems can be solved in such a way as to create a symbiotic relation between a man and a fast information-retrieval and data-processing machine, however, it seems evident that the cooperative interaction would greatly improve the thinking process.”

When reading this I came to a conclusion. Technology will not advance without the perseverance and dedication of mankind to put forth the effort to advance technology into the future. Without mankind, there is no technology. This conclusion has pushed me to believe that one day, there will be a huge technological advancement, due to mankind of course, and all will go wrong. This will lead to the takeover of technological beings on Earth and we will all be compromised. Then again this is a theory, but who knows, maybe there will a new version of Frankenstein? So if you’re asking if robots will take over the world, my answer is yes.

Frankenstein

Now a lot of people might think differently (and that is totally fine because they might not have watched as many TV shows or movies as I did when I was a kid). But it is always interesting to hear what others have to say about such circumstances.

In What’s for Dinher’s blog, he states a really good point that I never thought about. As human’s, we are developed to think and to solve situations logically (for the most part unless we get carried away). The analysis in that blogged proved to question me that if we did rely in technology so much, will we seriously lose all our thinking capabilities and logical touch? We will end up becoming like the¬†obese¬†people in Wall-E who use technology so much that they don’t care about their body.

When I read MJ’s blog, it definitely connects to the first blog I read. With technology rising, we are thinking less than we should. A simple invention like the calculator makes math calculations so much easier for us. Back when my parents were in school, they had to do calculations all in their head and work shown out on paper.

In Maryam’s Blog, she brings up a very interesting point, “how do we talk to computers?” Well, the simple answer is coding. The complicated answer is learning coding. There are so many codes that are out there right now. Java, HTML, and MySQL, are only three languages out of the many. Only programmers can communicate with technology and make them operate the way they should. If you’re not a programmer, either learn technology, or good luck.

C Program

Max’s blog states another example of how much we rely on the internet today. It’s crazy because we rely on research, answers to our questions, and educational material. All of these can be found on the world wide web and we don’t have to go back in time and go to a public library where we have to search through books for our answers.

Librarian

In this last blog, I could not have agreed any better with the author. The author says that the way we rely on technology is actually important. A computer thinks faster and more efficiently than we humans do. But my question becomes, does that mean we humans have to stop thinking? Absolutely not!

3 thoughts on “An Edit of my Second Nugget”

1. Your initial assertion that robots will take over the world is thought provoking, but a little pessimistic, don’t you think? Human brilliance always seems to get us in trouble when it comes to the unknown, so I won’t argue with you on that. But don’t you think we might have learned our lesson with Frankenstein, that the world isn’t ready for sentient beings of any kind, and will violently shun them or seek their destruction? We have plenty of time to learn from our mistakes, and not spark a war with new beings of our own creation.

2. I really like the connections that you made with your blog and everybody else’s blogs. I made similar connections, I’m kind of surprised that i didn’t use your blog for one of my connections.

3. Hey Virinchi,
    This is an interesting post, and you did a good job linking to your peers’ blogs. You were smart to pick out parts of each blog that you liked or that struck you for one reason or another. What I think you are missing however, are the connections between the posts your peers made. Here is what one said, and here is what another said, and another, and another–but what do those have in common (or not have in common)? What connections can you make? This is called synthesis, and it’s a difficult skill but one that we focus on in this class…