Validation!

Now that the deadline for this project is rapidly approaching and my time spent researching is drawing to a close, I got curious as to how much my edits had affected my article. Turns out that, currently, I’m sitting at the top spot under “Authorship,” meaning that the character count for my edits is higher than anyone else’s. How wild is that? I was convinced that my contributions weren’t very substantial, but apparently I was wrong.

This is in my Wikipedia story/reflection, but I’m actually genuinely excited by this.

Bad decisions

I’m seeing a couple other people admitting to procrastinating on the Wikipedia project and it’s making me feel so much better about my terrible choices. This project is getting done even if it’s getting done last minute so help me god.

(It’s currently 6:32am and I’ve been up all night working on various final papers on top of this project and will probably be doing this again tomorrow night)

The deer & the rose

I’m not really one for talking in class so I didn’t share this today (and also because everyone else’s takes on it were really deep and this is not) but I read the dead deer being shown right before the rose as a sort of foreshadowing. I just assumed that the deer could’ve possibly tried to eat a rose (do deer eat flowers?) and was killed as punishment. Or it could have died simply because it dared to trespass in the rose garden at all.

I just thought that this could be meant as foreshadowing for Belle’s father’s sentence: if you so much as touch a rose, you will die.

Orual

We kinda touched on Orual’s conversation (confrontation) with Psyche in her bedroom, and I think I have to disagree with Dr C’s take on it. I don’t see Orual as wanting to possess Psyche or that she views love as possession. I read it as Orual being genuinely upset that Psyche’s so okay with dying. I think that Orual thinks she’s not enough for Psyche, and that hurts. Psyche straight up tells her that she’s basically wanted to die for a long time, and honestly I find Orual’s reaction valid. If I were in her shoes, I’m pretty sure I’d have a similar reaction.

The Great Sacrifice

As we were reading on Wednesday, I found myself agreeing with what the Fox was saying re: the Brute and the sacrifice. The priest’s explanation of how the sacrifice works has a lot of logistical problems; the victim is Accursed, but is also perfect. They are punished, but also seemingly rewarded by being “married” to either Ungit or her son, but also eaten by the Brute.

Also, isn’t the sacrifice usually of someone who personally insulted the gods? This is just a temper tantrum. (Which makes sense; she’s supposed to be Venus. But still.)

Also: the king is a terrible father.

The ruler’s brother

We talked extensively about this section today and Dr C mentioned a few things about the crazy brother, but there’s something about him that I can’t stop thinking about that nobody mentioned.

The lines “Of those like him who’d keenly felt, the bitter/Accident of being dropped and broken” almost imply that he’s aware that he’s insane. He definitely knows he’s a social outcast; he’s locked away in the castle dungeons (even though I would argue that he’s totally harmless). But the use of broken makes me think that he knows there’s something “off” about him. He published his paper to try to reach others who are dismissed as crazy and ignored, because he knows what that’s like.

Also I would love to read “The Paradigm of Glass Unbreakable.” I’m curious as to how his theory works.

Butterflies

I know Dr C told us to focus on the final picture in the book but right at the end of class I got sidetracked by the butterflies that pop up now and then throughout the paintings, always near Psyche:

• The front cover of the book shows Psyche holding a butterfly
  • The painting where she returns home to her sisters has two or three butterflies
  • The two paintings after Cupid and Psyche are reunited show Psyche with butterfly wings

I’d imagine this is supposed to be an allusion to Psyche’s transformation from a mortal to a (lesser) goddess.

Venus

We skipped over this page entirely in class on Wednesday so I wanted to share it here:

This is my absolute favorite illustration from Craft’s book. It’s kind of hard to tell here (it looks brighter in person) but Venus also looks like she’s glowing from the inside out. Which makes sense because she’s a literal goddess. Just… the color scheme and the pearl accents and the flowers everywhere. It’s stunning. I also kinda love the look of outrage on her face. This is a powerful woman who is ready to ruin your whole life.

Jane & Rochester

I’m absolutely convinced that the reason Jane latches onto Rochester is because he’s the first male she’s ever met who treats her even remotely well. The only male figures in her life were her uncle– who was nice to her but died when she was little, her cousin John, and Mr Brocklehurst. John abused her for most of her childhood and Brocklehurst was neglectful and publicly humiliated Jane. Rochester is the first man in Jane’s life that didn’t outright abuse her.

That being said, I also really like the theory that came up in class today that Jane sees him as a challenge. They’re both insanely stubborn people and as much as I hate to say it, they kinda fit together.