The Beauty of Music Variety

One thing that I have grown to appreciate more as my life progresses is the different types of music that I listen to and how to associate specific moods with each type I listen to. Most of the music I had first started to listen to were heavy metal type bands such as AC-DC, Pearl Jam, Ozzy Osbourne, and Metallica. These bands and artists were some of my dad’s favorites and he was raised to like these “American style” rock bands that thrived in his teenage and college years. At first I started to like them too because we used to play lots of Guitar Hero with lots of their songs on it, but my friends in middle school began to stretch my horizons for the better.

Basically in middle school every kid was introduced to some type of hip hop or rap artists that made us feel extremely energetic and cocky of ourselves and who we hung around. For me, the artists I got introduced to were J. Cole, A$AP Rocky, Eminem, Future, Big Sean, and Childish Gambino. The hits that they produced allowed us to wild out at little house parties that we threw and made us want to go out of the ordinary way of life and made us thrive in our youth. We each tried things that we want to remember forever as well as things that we wish we could forget forever. It made us feel energetic and alive as can be for these couple of years, but once high school came, a dramatic awakening was waiting that I’m not sure any of us were expecting.

In high school, especially the later years, kids were developing a strong attachment to indie music that allowed for conversation, fashion, and identity to flourish as we matured into young adults. My favorite artists that I discovered were Rex Orange County, Michael Seyer, Galimatias, Bane’s World, and Boy Pablo. I even performed “Sunflower” by Rex Orange County in an open mic event at my high school with some of my friends that had muscial talent. I was signing with my friend Ian, Enrique played the drums, and Gerard played the guitar. We got more applause than we had expected and it was such a great time for all of us.

I am extremely grateful for all that I have learned in music and hope to explore and learn even more down the road with more people who want to do the same.

3 Replies to “The Beauty of Music Variety”

1. I see where you are coming from when you talk about how your music taste has grown and you have been more open to new genres. If it was not for my diverse friend group, I do not think that I would have been exposed to different genres of music. I do believe that everyone should have a wide variety of music selections. I say this because it allows a person to have different music for when they are feeling a certain way. If you stay in your own bubble you miss out on a lot of things including inspirational artist who may be able to help you during a rough time. You never know who you can relate to through your headphones.

2. As you mentioned how societies taste of music changes over the span of years. It’s for the reason being that, we as individuals are always craving a new genre for us to experience in. Because of the repeated loops on songs that were from the top genres of that time period. Causing us to be more developed on what type of music would society be interested in listening to, in their everyday lives. A good example of this is when the major shift from rock and roll phase to the hip-hop & rap phase took over, while also creating a massive hype on the sudden change of a new genre taking over the music industry. As for the rock and roll industry, its music was one of the most popular genres during the 1940s till the 1980s. Until Rick Rubin changed everything, with the formation of Def Jam Recordings it made hip-hop & rap seem like the most sudden change that took over the music industry. While also toping multiple charts records and creating a massive need for the genre hip-hop & rap from the 1990’s till now (which is 2019). While all of the hip-hop & rap artists music are currently garnering most of the music industry’s fame and popularity. It’s also gaining massive streaming records on platforms such as Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal and etc. With also being crowned at the Kings position in today’s music industry. It will be interesting to see what music genre will be the new king of the music industry. As to how the audience will perceive this new phase of music, when the hip-hop & rap genre starts to become overplayed at a certain time period and too repetitive for their society to handle.

3. I also a growth of music variety over the years. When I was a kid my parents would play the basic hip-hop stations, so that’s where I started. Unlike you in middle school I stopped listing to hip-hop as much and started listing to EDM and indie music. I occasionally listen to hip-hop, but not as much as before. At the end of middle school I learned of underground rap and hip-hop. Until the senior year I mostly listen to underground rap because I like wide variety of styles each rapper tries to create. Senior year is the year I got apple music. I got it because it had a 3-month free trial. With the wide variety of genres on apple music I started listening to more metal and hardcore.