Winter Depression Transitions Into Spring Happiness

As we transition into Spring 2019 new changes come waiting for us all in the new season. These changes can be beneficial such as positive change in attitude or detrimental such as having more allergies to deal with. For myself, spring motivates me to do more with my time instead of simply laying back and binge watching the shows that I love. The weather is much nicer and I can wear clothes that I am comfortable in instead of having to pick out an outfit that has to go with the cold, intense weather in the wintertime. I also love to play outdoor sports with my friends such as football, soccer, and basketball where I can exercise and play for a longer period of time.

The transition into springtime seems easy for me, but I know a lot of people that have the most difficult time getting out of their winter phases. One of my friends recently had a talk with me about his issue where he described wintertime and all the sue of things going on to go with the cold weather as “Winter Depression”. He told me that he seems as if everyone wants to relax after the handle their own responsibilities and no one wants to be with each other. He then went on to elaborate on his theory by telling me about his winter break where he attempted to hang out with hi friends but ultimately stayed home for the majority of the time. I told him that staying alone for a bit is never a bad thing and that reflection upon the his life during the Fall 2018 semester was normal. He responded with “Well how do I just *snap* into a new time in my life like you do?”. and I was just left in awe. I wanted to go off on a tangent about how my transition is no different from anyone else’s and that we all go through this time, but I refrained and we just changed the topic towards video games.

What I really want everyone to take out of this is that springtime is a time for expression and happiness and to embrace doing the things that you want to as the healthiest period of time in the new year. Winter Depression will only last temporarily and Spring Happiness will soon impact everyone’s lives in a positive manner. It might not be at the same time for everyone but the benefits towards happiness will be too great to pass up.

3 Replies to “Winter Depression Transitions Into Spring Happiness”

1. Yes, I totally agree. Winter is such a hard season to be motivated in, it is so cold out and all the plants are dull. Everything just seems to be darker but now that spring is here the bulbs are coming up and all the plants are starting to bloom. I think that when people see all the flowers and plants growing that it brightens their mood. Monroe park is a much nicer park since they redid it and now that it is beginning to warm up again we can begin to use it more. At the same time, we can not lose sight of our school work because as it warms up we are going to want to do other stuff other then school work. I liked your blog a lot I thought that it was well written.

2. Although winter is one of my favorite time of the year because of the holidays and snow, I have to agree with what you are saying. For some reason the warm weather always brings me to be more positive and active. It makes me want to go to the gym, go on a run, or just drive around and listen to music. I am looking forward to summer so much and can’t wait to be on the beach or swimming at the lake. I think warm weather brings so much happiness to many people is because we get to relax more than we do during the school year.

3. The longer nights and cold weather has definitely kept me inside and less social than the warmer months of the year. With spring coming more and more people are hanging out in Monroe park and the overall culture of the school seems to be better. That being said I am also very excited for the summer to come so I can reunite with old friends and go to the beach.