The Final Day

dreamsDeep breath!  Eye on the prize! This is your final stretch!

If you talked to me in a conference, we discussed options about citation pages — making them appear on a new post, or under a tab titled References or Works Cited, or trying visual markers to set them off, etc.  If you have questions about how to cite sources (either in text or on the final citation document), a good source to consult is the Purdue OWL Cite:  https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

Today is the final stretch of our course — the culmination of all of your hard work in Univ 200 this summer.  I urge you to send the link to your final project out to a friend or family member before you submit it and ask them to read it for writing errors and clarity.   At the very minimum, you immediately lose credibility on a website if you have grammatical and writing errors.  It is not cheating to ask a friend to go to your website and review it for readability and grammatical correctness.  I have friends ask me all the time to review their websites or their written work (even emails) to assure these are grammatically and structurally sound.

As far as textual errors: don’t  forget little things like placing titles of articles or movies in italics, and using correct capitalization in titles.  Paragraphing was also a problem in several beta drafts.  You must break your text into paragraphs — besides being grammatically incorrect to cram numerous ideas into one long paragraph, it’s simply visually unappealing not to have your text broken into paragraphs.  Use space to your advantage!

Think about what kind of supplemental information someone coming to your website would be interested in having.  If you have a long video that you do not want to include in your article/essay/argument, but it helps supplement your argument, you can create a tab or page for an annotated bibliography of supplemental works.  Try out the tools available in your web template so that you can add side bars, twitter feeds, etc.

All of you should have created an About page in your website.  The peer reviews asked you to give advice about what you would like to see in your peer’s About section.  Think about what you would like readers coming to your site to know about you.  Feel free to be funny in your bio.  Include a photo or two — even funny avatars will do!

You can always keep checking the thoughtvectors.net site this evening, as Inquiry Project links will be posted.  Check out your peers’ work (across sections)!  I’ll be checking out frisketmcbisket’s project on Netflix, since I used his research blog post as a model for you.   I also found other projects I’m interested in from other sections, so I will look at their work as well.  (One student is writing about Amazon — and I hope I’ll be able to find her project to look at it).  Truthfully, some of you are doing work that has broad interest among many readers beyond just this class.    Use tags for your website so that others can find it.  You may be surprised at the readers you will get if you tag effectively.

Finally, please take the time to complete the course evaluation (which you can access in Banner if you have not seen the emails sent to you).   This feedback is very important to me and the College.  You only have 1 more day to do this before the evaluation closes.  Please do it as you finish up your project this evening.

Have I said that this has been an amazing summer?   I have enjoyed every minute!   I can’t wait to see your final projects!