Concept Experience #3 “Augmenting Human Intellect”

Based on your Concept Experience and Inquiry Post Project Reflections  from last week (Week #2), begin prowling the internet for articles, videos, blogs, documentaries, interviews etc. that address the same research topic in which you are focusing.
Find and read 5 highly relevant sources on your research topic.  Bookmark these sources in Diigo, and share them with our group ThoughtVectors2014.
Also, tag the articles with any words that will help you remember the content of the articles you read.  We will try to develop a list of common tags after we see how your tagging goes this week.  (Note:  The ThoughtVectors2014 Diigo folder will include the findings of four other Univ 200 summer sections — so you will begin to see a range of interesting articles appearing in our group folder, with numerous tags!.
Use any process you feel comfortable with to annotate, take notes, highlight and mark your five sources as you read them. You may use the Diigo tools (highlight, sticky notes), or you may choose to use some other method after you bookmark your articles in Diigo.  However, at the minimum, you must bookmark and tag all articles in Diigo AND share them with the ThoughtVectors2014 group so that your research can be assessed by me.
For this concept experience, implement your own “tools” for annotating and taking notes on your five sources after bookmarking them in Diigo.   Some students prefer physically copying all articles and manually highlighting them for the most effective reading practices.  Some students may export their articles to another site for annotations (RefWorks, Google docs, etc).  Other students simply open a Word document and take notes on their articles, keeping all Word docs in a file on their computer for easy access.  Whatever notation method works for you, implement it so that you take notes as you read your sources.
If no methods have ever worked for you — I encourage you to use Diigo, since it will collect your annotations and keep them with your articles, and it has been helpful for my students in the past.  Another helpful collection site students have used successfully is Zotero.
After finding, bookmarking, sharing (with the ThoughtVectors2014 group) and reading 5 relevant sources related to your research topic, your concept experience is as follows:
Look through the Diigo group list, (ThoughtVectors2014) and find 3 other sources shared with our group, and add those sources to your personal library in Diigo.  The sources may be related to your topic, but also they may simply be articles you want to have in your library to read later.
From “Augmenting Human Intellect,” in the section “Some Possibilities with Cards…” Engelbart discusses his “existing note and file system” of the “unit records” of card-sized-notchable cards as his system for gathering information and making connections between sources.
He says:
“But when I digest the writings of another person, I find generally anyway that I have extracted from his structure and integrated into my own a specific selection of facts, considerations, ideas, etc.  Often these different extracted items fit into different places in my structure, or become encased in special substructures as I modify or expand his concepts.  Extracting such items or kernels and putting each on its own notecard helps this process considerably…(These notecards or kernels) provide a workspace for me in which I can browse, make additions or corrections, or build new sets of thought kernels with a good deal of freedom.” Engelbart

Englebart’s metaphor of the card is that of a thought “kernel.” He tries to articulate how he keeps his kernels separate, but also tries to create associative trails between them.  In our class, the metaphor we have used to highlight your critical reading is that of “nuggets.”

For your Concept Experience #3:

First: reflect on Diigo as a “dynamic knowledge repository” as Engelbart discussed.  How does Diigo enact some of the visions Engelbart discussed in “Augmenting Human Intellect?”  This will entail your going back to the reading, thinking about how your use of Diigo this week intersects with any of Engelbart’s ideas.

Second:  Engelbart uses “kernels” as his metaphor for bits of knowledge he finds from other people.  Create a  metaphor of your own for  “digesting” the “writings of (other) people” this week in your research and reading of 5 sources, as well as browsing the other articles in our Diigo group.

How would you describe (using a metaphor!) your current workspace for integrating new ideas, concepts,  considerations, and questions about your research topic?   (that workspace can be inside your head, on Diigo, or in some other virtual “place”).  How does it look or feel as you read and “digest the ideas” of others?   What image best represents your research and reading processes (of these first 5 sources), and your work in Diigo this week?  Think in terms of images.

Finally: your concept metaphor should include specific new ideas you’ve encountered in your research this week.  In this way, your metaphor will both illustrate a metaphorical image of your research process, as well as provide glimpses into some of the ideas, observations, and questions you have encountered or raised during the research process.

I look forward to seeing a vision of what “digesting the ideas of others” looks like to you.