Week 3

SOL 3.12 Measurement

Content:

• 24 hours in a day
  • 7 days in a week
  • 365 days in a year
  • 12 months in a year
  • Misconceptions- not all months have 31 days so not all months have 4 weeks and not all months start on a Monday

Pedagogy:

• Hands on approach and visual manipulative along with speaking to the class to help provoke thinking

Technology:

• Large calendar
  • Small blank paper calendars
  • Paper circles

Lesson:

I would start with asking my students what they knew about the calendar and then would put on a large calendar that everyone would be able to see and have everyone observe the calendar and make observations as a class. This is where I would start talking about the misconception that not all months actually start on a Monday and not all months have 4 weeks. I would then ask if anyone could think of why not all months start on a Monday, then I would have them writing at the top of their circle Monday then the rest of the days in order around the circle (like a clock) then would explain how weeks work like a cycle just like time and always go in the same order. So, each month has to pick up where the other left off so if the 31stwas on a Thursday the 1stof the next month would then be on Friday. After I would ask everyone how many days they thought were in a month. I would have them turn and discuss with the person next to them, then have them share; Then we would talk about how not all the months have 31 days and I would explain how this is because a very long time ago they realized if the calendar followed the moon cycle there would be 29.5 days in each month of the calendar which would be years of 354 days but the orbital period of the Earth is 365 days. This made the calendar out of sync with seasons and then have them discuss why this could have been a big problem back then. Then I would have them all think of their own calendars and they would make them on blank calendars I would pass out. Then I would have them share what they came up with for their calendars. After I would explain how back then they too tried to change the calendar and add a 13thmonth but that was just too confusing so Julius Caesar reformed the calendar by ordering the year to be in 365 days so it would be set up to follow the seasons; this forced some days to be added to some of months to bring the total number of days from 354 to 365.  Then I would teach them knuckle trick where the months that land on your knuckle have 31 days.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/125-observational-astronomy/timekeeping/calendars/765-why-are-most-months-30-or-31-days-long-intermediate

TPK is important for it is understanding how you are using the technological tools for a specific group that you have intentionally selected those tools. (This is understanding third graders they enjoy and learn better working with hands one lessons they, that’s why the blank calendars and circle days of the week would good tools.)

TCK is important because all students learn better when they are taught with technological tools, so having an understanding of the relationship between the two gives the ability to modify and manipulate with tools making an overall better lesson for the students. (This is knowing that not all months have the same number of days so giving students a blank calendar allows them to create their own and the blank circles they fill in with the days of the week works with the understanding that the days of the week always work in a cycle like a clock.)

PCK This is very important because we need to know how to teach what we are teaching to our specific students since not all of your students are going to get something by learning it the same way. (This is how in we have activities, instruction and discussion in the lesson to help make sure everyone will get it.)

They all work together to make a well rounded effective lesson. When teachers are able to integrate all of these into their lesson plans they are advancing their lesson. This is because when you combine all of these aspects into one lesson it become much much more effective and is set up to reach all your students. They also help the teacher stay organized when planning lessons.

4 thoughts on “Week 3

1. Hi! I love your choice of SOL for this activity! I feel like I don’t ever remember having a full discussion and explanation all about the calendar, but I believe it’s necessary. Also, the misconceptions you included, were definitely valid, and true. The only thing I might take out is having the students create their own calendars. This seems like it could possibly confuse them more, and therefore be counterproductive. I would still definitely bring up the example of this attempt in the past though! Overall, I really enjoyed your lesson.