The Princess In Black

Hale, Shannon

Publication date:
Publisher:

Flesch–Kincaid

Description

<span style="font-weight: 400;">This book is a great twist on traditional books about princesses and features a strong female main character. The princess secretly fights monsters that threaten to eat goats. </span>

Readability

Using the Fry Readability Graph, the book is on a 4th/5th grade reading level.

Use in Class

This book is for an above grade level guided reading group. This book will be great for discussions on character analysis as well as the fantasy elements. This book would be used in my guided reading group. Because of the length of the book, it would be used for all three phases of PAR. I would do a story impression before we read as part of the preparation phase. During the assistance phase, I would use DR-TA, different questioning strategies (QAR), and we would discuss different comprehension strategies as we read the book. Finally, during the reflection phase, we would discuss questions about the book, any connections they have (especially text-text), revisit the anticipation guide, and summarize the book as we read and at the end of the book. I would also have them make a story map as they read and compare and contrast this book’s fantasy vs. reality elements with Cinderella.

Unit Focus

Language Arts

Submitted by Becky Norton