Based on our experience doing service work and our research, we have a number of recommendations for food pantries, so that they can better serve their clients and their communities.
- Create friendly spaces by enhancing the physical layout and environment of the pantry.
- Educate clients by offering life-enhancing classes and opportunities.
- Work with the larger community by engaging local neighborhoods.
- Serve whole families by reaching out to children.
- Serve individuals by addressing clients’ anxiety.
- Increase awareness by educating the public.
- Reach out to millennials and college student volunteers.
- Increase donations and reduce food waste by engaging in food recovery.
- Increase access to fresh foods by investing in community gardens.