E- Learning Generations – ds106

After reading the article on E-learning generations/MOOCs, I decided to research ds106. I had no idea what to expect and I was excited about what I found.

Digital Storytelling or ds106 is an open, online course that originated at the University of Mary Washington.  It is now offered by many other institutions. Students can join and leave whenever they want. The course is free to any and all who want to take it.

Digital Storytelling is an evolving term. The term comes from the idea people will use digital tools to tell stories in a creative way. The stories can take the form of a short story or they can involve art and photographs, video and even computer games. Since this is a relatively new idea, the definition of digital storytelling is still being developed. Basically the storyteller develops their own digital program and also participates in a larger conversation with the group. Individuals and groups can work at any time and at any pace they choose. There are daily creative assignments that students can take advantage of. Students are also able comment on the work of others and engage in discussions via Twitter and Google+.

So at this point, I still was not sure exactly what ds109 was. By searching through the site http://ds106.us/ I began to see what was going on. These digital stories use a wide variety of media and I can see how they could be used in the classroom to integrate subject matter. Students can work alone or with partners or teams to create their own digital stories. Once the stories are finished, they can be uploaded to the internet and made available to a larger audience.

I thought I would give you an idea of the type of creative assignments that are provided, so I just randomly picked one…   Assignment: What’s in your toast? What can you edit into your own toast today? Upload your photo to flickr and tag it dailycreate. Here is a response given by a participant:

toast-1

There is a ds106 assignment bank for visual, audio, web, writing and even 3-D printed assignments! You can search through an exhaustive list of creative assignments to share with students. There are hundreds of assignments in ten different categories. It was fascinating to just browse through the assignments and look as the creative work. If you get a chance just go and check it out http://assignments.ds106.us/

I am not exactly sure how I would use this in my class, but I can see tremendous possibilities.

One thought on “E- Learning Generations – ds106”

1. I was also very interested in the ds106 option. I also used the “toast” activity with some of my students. I asked them to look at their lives as if they were sandwiches. They had to write their priorities on the toast. One side was the major priorities or the meat and the other side was the dressing and the lettuce and dressing.