Differentiation

The Universal Design for Learning website had some interesting links that I think will be useful as I continue to plan my module lesson. I particularly found these links useful:

Foster Collaboration and Community

Mastery Oriented Feedback

Support Memory and Transfer

I know that I will really need to work on fostering that collaboration in my module.  I also want to work on getting feedback from students.

The book excerpt was a little tougher to get through. I was overwhelmed with all of the different differentiations that were mentioned.  It never would have occurred to me that you would need so many multiple means of representation and expression in an online course.  With students in our classrooms we can observe when they are having difficulty with a topic and we can step in and correct the situation.  As the authors stated,  many of the course design features that work for students with learning disabilities would work for anyone.  I think that Schoology appears to provide many of the differentiations that were mentioned in the reading.  Many of the requirements mentioned as being needed to differentiate an online class are just as necessary in a face to face classroom.  Again, as many teachers have noted, the techniques that provide good differentiation online are really no different from the techniques used in face to face instruction.  I think that what is more challenging for the online teacher is selecting the right technology for the type of  interaction that you are looking for.

The resource I found was  http://www.jonbergmann.com/about-m/.

This resource gives specific information on Flipped Learning. The site was developed by Jon Bergmann. Bergmann is one of the pioneers of the Flipped Class Movement. Jon is the author of several books and he is the founder of the global FlipCon conferences.  What I found most interesting was that he spent 24 years as high school chemistry teacher before becoming the lead technology facilitator for a large school district. He also serves on the advisory board for TED-Education.  In 2013, he was named one of Tech & Learning’s 10 Most Influential People. The site is filled with articles and research and resources that support the Flipped model. The website provides useful links to tools for preparing and producing your own educational videos. Making my own educational videos is something that I have been working on for several years.  I am really looking to try and take my videos to the next level.  I found some useful information on video production and hosting.  I was particularly interested in the Comparisons of Interactive Video Tools:

EduCanon        EdPuzzle          Zaption                                Office Mix

123    4

Verso                    TechSmith Relay   Adobe Presenter    Google Apps for Ed

5   6        7               8

One article posted on the website really caught my attention… “Why Teachers Matter More in a Flipped Classroom”   The article discusses the mistaken idea that teaching is the pouring out of information from the teacher into the student. The reason Flipped Learning makes teachers more valuable is that it changes the dynamic of the classroom. No longer is content delivery the main focus of the class. Instead, teachers take on the role of a facilitator of learning. They can work with students in small groups and have more one-on-one interactions.  With the content delivered online, each student gets his/her own education tailored to their individual needs.  This seems to me to be the ultimate differentiation. This is exactly what I am hoping to be able to accomplish in my classroom. The many resources available at this site are going to be invaluable to me as I work to develop my module.

2 thoughts on “Differentiation”

1. C. hristy – I know that you have used Zaption in the past. Did you ever try the Play Posit program we saw this summer? Are the resources listed above free software programs or do they have a fee? I really do want to work on videos for class but often don’t know where to start. I agree that the flipped classroom offers a great balance between online learning and face-to -face learning

2. Lynn,
    Zaption is no longer available for educational use. I have used EdPuzzle and it has a free version. I did really like Play Posit… I just don’t want to invest so much time in something just to have it disappear! I can use the edit features on YouTube for my podcasts… they are not as fancy as some of the other but they are easy to use. It is time consuming to make the videos, but there are some easy ways if you don’t try to get too fancy. I think using Photo Story is one of the easiest ways to turn a PowerPoint into a video that you can post online. We all have Photo Story on our laptops. Let me know if you want me to show you how it works.