Inquiry Project Final

Here is my finished Inquiry Project!!!!!

http://toty89.wix.com/remember

I am super proud of it! I’ve spent as much time as I possible could and did the best I could ever hope to do on an informative research project like this. I would definitely prefer a project like this over a straight research paper. Visuals and creativity are more my style. I honestly think taking UNIV 200 online was the best choice for me.

Shout out to Mr. Becker for being a great and understanding instructor throughout this course!

Inquiry Project Draft

I write out everything by hand first, then I type it up on word to edit and revise before putting it on my Wix page. I am still not very happy with what I have come up with for the last two “reasons” and have not posted them yet. I am still not finished with the project but will be updating everyday. After posting the research part up, I’ll be making the page more creative and relative to the subject. I didn’t realize how difficult this would be.

This is the link to my website:

http://toty89.wix.com/remember

Inquiry Project Outline

UNIV 200 Inquiry Project

Part 1

The atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan has caused extreme long term damages to the health of the victims as well as the environment. I will be writing about the immediate and long term effects that the survivors had to endure on both a physical and chemical level. I also will include how the radiation exposure has effected the environment in a detailed and scientific way. Further details about ionizing radiation will really help with explaining how radiation really effects the victims and environment. Therefore, the atomic bomb’s effects has greatly damaged Hiroshima, Japan.

Part 2

• Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima, Japan
    • Victims have suffered from diseases and cancer
      • Disease X
        • This disease has reached as far as three miles past the bomb site
        • The symptoms of this disease are vomiting, diarrhea, swollen mouth and throat, bleeding from the mouth, and bluish colored spots on the skin
        • This is a very mysterious disease caused by radiation exposure
      • Cancer
        • Lung cancer
        • Liver cancer
        • Breast cancer
        • Leukemia
        • Survivors feared the risk their offspring ending up with cancer because of their current health and chances for cancer themselves
      • Unborn children
        • Pregnant women exposed to radiation = unborn children exposed to radiation
        • Birth defects
        • Deformaties
        • High health risks
        • Diseases
        • Weak immune system/organs
        • Damage to the brain
        • Development difficulties
    • The environment has been destroyed on a chemical and physical level
      • Radioactive elements within plants and animals
        • Bones of animals had traces of radioactive elements that effect development and health
        • Plants and land also radioactive traces within them damaging functionality, growth, future plants and natural resources
        • Contamination to the environment makes water, etc virtually unusable
      • Hibaku Jumoku
        • Called “The A-bomb Tree”
        • Survived the atomic bomb
        • Very unusual
        • Following spring season began to have many new growths
        • New saplings gave hope to the survivors
        • Connected to Japanese culture (emotionally and spiritually)
      • Black Rain
        • Dark liquid
        • Stained all it touched black
        • Contaminated resources
        • Spread past Hiroshima
        • Same effects as radiation exposure
        • Tarry
        • Contained harmful chemicals
          • Aircraft waste
          • Radioactive fallout
          • Various mixes of chemicals
    • Exposure to ionizing radiation explains how the atomic bomb has effected both victims and the environment
      • Original molecular structure is altered
        • Molecular structures within humans and resources are basis of existance
        • Everything has a molecular structure for its specific function
      • Altered molecular structure may cause more harm than good
        • The original molecular structure that has been altered usually changes into something completely different and not needed in the human body or environment
        • All structures are specifically for a certain task, alterations would stray from its purpose
      • Harmful new functions
        • Each structure is a code for a specific function for the organism
        • Molecular structures altered by ionizing radiation tends to result in a new code for poison
        • Poison will be created within the body destroying it from the inside out
        • Chemical mishaps within the body/ organism

Concept Experience #5

Part 1:

This person created this website to resemble an informative “newspaper” online. Even the name of the website reflects its informative layout. The first time you open the page you see a large photo above the title. At first glance it doesn’t look like it has anything to do with the essay. But after looking at the photo carefully I figured out that there was a connection. Every section had an enlarged letter and ended with a photo. It’s content is informational but the way the essay is formatted looks just like how many of us write our blog posts. After every point we make we add a photo to separate our thoughts and transition to our next paragraph. I like that there are no advertisements found anywhere on the site. That makes focusing on the essay a lot easier. The different fonts really help with how to navigate through the place too. The bottom of the site also has the references used as well as links and photos to other pieces related to the essay. It is a very nice and clean cut host.

At the moment I am debating on whether to put my inquiry project in a new blog on rampges.us or to start a new tumblr page. My question is a very emotional and tragic topic. I feel that much visual support is needed and tumblr has an easier layout to upload all the photos. But rampages would be easier to link to other sources with. But the main layout I would like is a blog-like layout that can be hold many photos and can be altered to fit the content.

“If the World Began Again, Would Life as We Know It Exist?” Breakdown

1. What is the thesis or main claim that the author is making?

– I believe the main claim was to prove that life may not have changed if it were to start over again.

2. Does the author make sub-claims? If so, which ones?

– The author of the piece makes a lot of little factual sub-claims. They are all in the forms of specific examples such as salamanders, bacteria, humans, etc.

3. What kinds of evidence does the author use? (scholarly? Peer-reviewed? Secondary?)

-The evidenced used by this author was mainly scholarly. He mainly used printed sources and real observations from existing biologists.

4. Is the evidence credible? Why or why not?

-Yes, their evidence is credible because they mention the full name and occupation of who they sourced and also added their employer. Also, much of the information can be found within  printed sources.

5. What kinds of rhetorical strategies does the author use?

-The author used a lot of deductive reasoning. Most of the piece is just factual statements.

6. Does the author make a logical argument? If so, why?

– The author does make this piece logical, but I wouldn’t say argumentative. It is hard to figure out what the argument is without reading the title. Even the in the thesis statement the argument is vague.

7. Did you find any logical fallacies?

-Not really. This entire piece was mainly just facts about organisms throughout time. There were rarely any type of opinions in this piece.

8. Overall, did you find the argument persuasive? Why or why not?

– No, I did not find the argument persuasive. It was very factual and detailed in sources, but it felt like a biology book. You know before hand that there is an argument to be made, but all I really could take from this was there was a lot of historical facts about organisms throughout time. It was more of a timeline for living things on earth than a persuasive argument.

I think that the Purdue websites are a HUGE help. High school definitely did not prepare me well. In the past I wasn’t sure where to turn to for help but this website makes everything way easier to understand and learn from.

Nugget #5

“All of the systems are equally controllable by hand or by program. Thus, drawing and painting can be done using a pointing device or in conjunction with programs which draw curves, fill in areas with tone, show perspectives of three-dimensional models (see Figure 26.16), and so on. Any graphic expression can be animated, either by reflecting a simulation or by example (giving an “animator” program a sample trace or a route to follow).”

When I was a kid, everyone always messed around with the default art program called “paint” that came with every computer. Whenever our school allowed us to used computers for the lesson, the first thing we did was open up paint. We drew specific pictures, copy and pasted texts or pictures, edited photos, or just messed around with the provided tools. But I never really thought about how we were able to create those lines or circles. I just thought that what our mouse did, the program did. But there is a deeper understanding of what goes on. Everything had to be programmed. Paint had to be programmed to recognize what our mouse was doing and where it wanted that action to go. The computer is mimicking our actions through the mouse as a guide. Something so simple such as the paint program runs because of a complex set up. After reading this passage, I realized that everything is the same way. Nothing is just simple.There is always a deeper meaning or more complex plan hiding in the background.

Updated Inquiry Project Proposal

My initial proposal was generalized around of the topic of the atomic bomb on Japan. I have refined my proposal to “How does the radiation from the atomic bomb effect human heath and nature in Hiroshima?” A few sources I have found have grown more refined as the week went on. In the beginning I had been just searching for information on the generalized topic of the atomic bomb on Japan.

The Britannica database has information on almost every topic involving the atomic bomb attack on Japan. It gives a broad background information on the attack in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This source will give me a better understanding of the past event and what general information has been found after the drop of the atomic bomb.

\

Another generalized source I believe will help with my inquiry project is a blog post about the the event. It covers what each bomb was made out of, the physical outcome of the effected land and victims and covers both Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s attacks.

Another source I have chosen is an article from the New England Journal of Medicine. Part of my inquiry project question is the effects of the atomic bomb’s radiation on human health. This article has detailed information on what the radiation does specifically to the human body that other radiation does not even compare to.

A specific source I have chosen is about a tree in Hiroshima that has been a victim of the atomic bomb’s radiation yet still stands. It has been named the “A-Bomb Tree” or Hibaku Jumoku. This will serve as a great example of what the radiation to the land that had been hit.

And a more refined resource I have is specifically about the effects of radiation on human health. This article talks about the long term  and current effects of the radiation to the health of those who have been exposed to born into the radioactive environment.

For the moment I am not really sure where I will host my inquiry project. But I am certain that  I will be using medical visuals as well as videos about the incident and interviews in my project.

Daily Inquiry Project Report #3

Yesterday I focused on what radiation from the atomic bomb does to the land in Hiroshima. Today I am focusing on what radiation from the atomic bomb does to the human body. The survivors of the attack have many fears. Without research we can already assume that since they have been exposed to such deadly radiation their health is not at its finest. Some of my sources have mentioned that many victims immediately died while some survivors slowly die. If not immediate death an illness created by radiation becomes a huge problem. When you think radiation you think cancer. What survivors fear is that their chances of getting some kind of cancer is high and may be passed on to their offspring. Unborn babies from expecting mothers that have been exposed to the atomic bomb’s radiation are not exempt from the harm. Because of the atomic bomb’s lingering radiation the humans that have been exposed suffer from death, near death, illness, or the fear of falling ill.

Daily Inquiry Project Report #2

Now that I have refined my Inquiry Project question I am searching for sources that will tell me about radiation effects on nature. How does the radiation effect the soil, trees, grass, flowers, etc? How far will the radiation reach using land as a their medium? What is the end result of the effects of the atomic bomb on natural resources? We know that the humans exposed to the atomic bomb radiation fall ill and show symptoms but how would plants react? Do they show signs of early wilting, turn an unusual color, or immediately die?

Plants such as Hibaku Jumoki  can be studied to tell us the effects of the Atomic Bomb on nature. Nature is a vital part of Japanese culture. The atomic bomb dropped was devastating blow to both the Japanese victims and the beautiful nature that surrounded them.

Daily Inquiry Project Report #1

When we were assigned to post a blog proposal for our Inquiry Project, I didn’t have an exact idea yet. Instead I had an idea of what I wanted to write about. It was more of a general topic, but after reading Mr. Becker’s comment I wanted to use the question he had suggested. But after reading Jessica Gordon’s advice on picking a topic or question I have decided to specify the question from Mr. Becker. I have gone from talking about “Why dropping the Atomic Bomb was the wrong decision” to “How would Japan be different had the United States not dropped the bomb?” to “How has the atomic bomb affected the health of Hiroshima’s people and land?” I want to focus more on the effects of the radiation on both the health of the people and damage to the land. Japan’s traditions values nature greatly and the effects of the bomb has left the land just as damaged as the people.

hiroshima japan 1024x767 » Cease at Preferred Spots to Get a Memorable Japanese Stay