Eating Healthy Blog #4

So with the meal I ate this week, I made baked salmon with baked asparagus, steamed rice, and a baked potato. I got all my ingredients from Kroger except for the rice and asparagus, the rice came from an Asian market store and the asparagus from Sam’s. I know that the salmon probably came from a farm on the east coast. I really don’t feel much emotions towards the fact that it came from a farm because for the most I usually view my meals and food at a cost instead of like the origins of it. I don’t have too much of a negative viewpoint on where my meal comes from. The asparagus obviously like any of the other ingredients came from a farm in the Midwest. I feel that the origin of this could’ve easily been farmed closer to where we live since asparagus doesn’t take too much land to grow. The packaging that it came in also indicated that it was farmed without all the GMO stuff so that’s always a plus, to me the whole GMO conflict doesn’t mean much to me. If I were to focus purely on what my food contains and where it comes from then I wouldn’t be in the shape, I am now. I would probably be skinnier and I’m trying to gain weight so eating anything and everything is goal for me right now. The potatoes like the asparagus came from a farm from the Midwest and was probably farmed using GMO’s. I think that knowing where your food comes from and what is used to grow it is great information and beneficial to those that want to know more but in my situation like I stated before is not relevant. I’ll keep eating these foods regardless if they are farmed “organically” or mass produced in a factory. To the best of my knowledge the rice was probably from an eastern Asian country, from what I’ve seen on the internet and television the farms are huge and are usually not machine operated. How I feel about this is that obviously it’s insane for someone to farm rice, it’s such a tiny thing that and so much has to farmed to get just a small portion for someone to eat. The people that farm the rice aren’t skilled workers but probably regular everyday people, the whole my great grandfather was a farmer and his grandfather was a farmer type situation. I think out of all the ingredients in my meal this was probably the most labor intensive ingredient. It is crazy to think that the all the ingredients for my meal came from hundreds of miles away and yet the food itself is still relatively fresh. Like I said before I don’t feel any type of empathy or real type of connection to my ingredients, like it’s terrible the way these farmers use GMO’s and certain techniques that make mass production farming non susceptible for the Earth. Like thinking about the fact that the salmon I ate was farmed in a tank for months at a time and the fish itself is stuck with hundreds of others doesn’t sound to appealing. It’s a terrible thing for the fish itself but to me being the consumer I don’t show much empathy but to the actual process behind growing/raising the fish is what leaves an imprint. These farms aren’t always out to make their products (fish) morally right or ethically right, most are out for the money so every little bit that they can save will impact the farm. I mean you see it in every industry out there, everyone is out to take shortcuts that will save them a little here and a little there, and what ends up happening in the end is the products are disgusting. I know that growing potatoes isn’t as time consuming or labor inducing as say the other ingredients in my meal, so I don’t feel too much about where that comes from. I think with the introduction of urban farms into cities where land is available is a great thing moving forward. We talk about it now with Richmond being a food desert and I think that this farm over at Fairfield Middle School will help out not in a huge way but it will make an impact. Going back to the farming of the salmon, to my knowledge there only way to get salmon is either farming them in mass production or catching them in the wild. I wouldn’t mind eating salmon that was caught out in the wild compared to those farmed, I’m sure that it actually tastes better but I think for most people including myself the issue isn’t really taste at this point but an economic standpoint. Salmon already as it is, isn’t all that cheap to begin with, I think it came to about twenty dollars total for maybe about eight small pieces. So going out and looking for salmon that caught out in the wild, I can only imagine how much it cost plus you have the whole “organic” label that drives the price up even more. To most people groceries aren’t really bought really on taste but more on convenience and like I said before price. Also to note about the food and how people purchase them, the reason why the food we find in the grocery stores that appeal visually are most likely altered to look that way to make them more purchasable. I have seen it on television and documentaries where they add food coloring and even add chemicals (GMO’s) that will add certain antibacterial properties when eaten. I think that for the most part for now, my decision currently is going to be based on economically instead of the whole morally/ethical ways behind the food themselves. I know it’s not the greatest way to look at it since being in this class but for the most part it’s going to be this way until something changes in my lifestyle.

5 thoughts on “Eating Healthy Blog #4”

1. I agree with your comment that we tend to buy what looks appealing and what we can afford. Many people don’t think about morals or ethics when it comes to food but unlike you I occasionally think about how the food was produced or raised and how it was treated. Also when reading about what you ate it made me hungry.

2. Your meal sounds delicious. I think we need to focus on health aspects before GMOs as well, but GMOs are still up in the air. There hasn’t been much testing on the subject, and we could find out in 10 years that GMOs are causing cancer.

3. I agree that it is beneficial to know where our food comes from. It’s something that we would normally ever think about, but I think if we knew we would change the way we eat. i have never felt any emotions when eating my food and now I actually take the time to think about what I am eating

4. To add a comment on your final paragraph, commercials and advertisements often do not even use real food to show on television. It is often a wax or even something plastic. This fact is disgusting to me. I agree with you when you said that most ingredients that we eat every day here in America have been shipped across the world even and they are still fresh. I don’t know how this could be possible but it makes me question what kind of chemicals are used to keep the food fresh on the trip from where it was grown and then to grocery stores in the United States or elsewhere.

5. I love how you touched on shortcuts, how everyone is trying to take them. I believe this is so true. Everything is about being quick and easy. But should our food always be quick and easy??? I say no.