Concept Experience 5

Human brain is like a tangled thread. Should I look for all the sentences first? Or should I start writing then fit them altogether later?  When I think, I feel the same as virtually going through an intertwined web of concepts, where ideas and relevant matters are connected and push to the surface, in turn of their impression to the brain. The tough part is that it all occurs at once. That’s why sometime it feels like the answer is right there, but I can’t actually put it in words.

A conceptual network of 8 different writers, from 16 different posts, of various central topics, seem to be an overwhelming, all over the place prompt to me. Though, they all share common theme of how human and technology think and be in the online space, synthesis so many different aspects of such broad subject is not an easy task. Nonetheless, it is even more difficult nowadays due to technology and the Internet. Phone buzzes with new text messages, Facebook rings from news feed notifications, music, games, all kind of distractions lure my mind away from focusing. Since when has technology came about and effecting my brain like this?

images

Flashing back at human evolution, we were starting out just as basic as any other animals. As human developed, we created tools, languages, we discovered fire, then electricity then a modern, complex civilization like how we are today. Man’s population and gross product are increasing at a considerable rate, but the complexity of his problems grows still faster, and the urgency with which solutions must be found becomes steadily greater in response to the increased rate of activity and the increasingly global nature of that activity. Our worries aren’t stopping at how much crops we need to grow, how many animals we have to hunt for the survival of hundreds some people in the clan, but much larger concerns like how to sustain in needs and food for billions people, how to protect our race against devastated natural disaster, or how to continue and prepare our next generations to the tough fight of the survival for the fitness. Therefore, we need to augment human intellect to not get behind the speed of life changing. By “augmenting human intellect” we mean increasing the capability of a man to approach a complex problem situation, to gain comprehension to suit his particular needs, and to derive solutions to problems. In order to do so, we first need a way to encompass the records hundreds thousands years of human history in a convenience fashion. Since human race has built a civilization so complex that he needs to mechanize his records more fully if he is to push his experiment to its logical conclusion and not merely become bogged down part way there by overtaxing his limited memory. There is no use of that rich foundation if we can’t store or access them. And our current unlimited cloud storage called Google with free, instantaneous access via computer through the meant of the internet is bringing such solution to life. We no longer need to spend hours to search for the right book among the thousands books in the library, or hopelessly look for the long-lost passage among millions words of hundreds, thousands pages text. Technology is capable of providing viewers the answers, the materials, or even relevance readings with a few clicks immediately, just like a magic granted to our wish. In the man-machine systems of the past, the human operator supplied the initiative, the direction, the integration, and the criterion. The mechanical parts of the systems were mere extensions, first of the human arm, then of the human eye. Today technology is expanding even more on the notion of man-computer symbiosis. We want to strive for “real time” interaction between flexible mind of man and speed of machine for the sake of our productivity. Though, there is still limited in conversational potential between two subjects, further refine in speed and accuracy in language fluency of computer would yield those time consuming clerical tasks of recording and inputting data to almost immediately answer. Being able to understand and communicating with one another, computers prove to be flexible, adaptive, manipulative to human need. Man-computer symbiosis is here and it’s only a matter of time before this technology improves and is applied to new areas. Computers are there to assist human in unnecessary boring procedure, calculations, algorithm or repetitive works, thus boost human’s productivity and problem solving speed to another extent.

Growing up as “digital natives”, kids nowadays are familiar and fluent with technology like how to read or write. Despite blessing with its convenience  and useful assistance, there are also inevitable problems we have to overcome. Not Digital-Native-Matrixan exception, the Internet and social media are also part of my daily life. I use them to look for everything from directions, recipes,  to research questions and keep myself update with trends and news out there in the world every single day. Google is a great leap of human intelligent. It blows a new hope into our research and learning ability. Since it is designed to “learn” from previous experience by calculating and associating people’s search/visit history (I am not sure if that is a fascinating thing or not) and with huge, interconnected database that receives distribution and being used worldwide, searching questions and suggestions are wide variety, relevance, and available. It is very powerful tool that we do need some initiative and manipulation along the progress to maximize its utility. Even with a shared interest and searching keywords at the beginning, where one ends up would depend on their decision and intent. Some people would be driven by her predetermined topic while the other would go with the flow. Sometimes the suggestions are expected, sometimes they aren’t, or sometimes they are inspiring. Anyhow, in the end, we need to focused on our idea in order to not getting off track. “Too much of something good starts to turn into something bad.” Such excessive convenience is making people lose focus and comprehensibility to certain extent because it is natural reflex of human behavior, to just skim through the information, at unnoticeably high speed, since we know that there are a lot more possible answer lying out there. In fact, scientist had shown that technology is actually shaping our brain wiring different than before, especially how we memorize, due to the way we expect the answer in advance and the assurance that those answer could be retrieve at any time. Moreover, with social media as the root of attention, we also tend to develop the problem with internet addiction and excessive narcissism. Constant phone buzzing noises or notifications sound really interfere with our attention and focus on work or studying. Some young people are over upset with the amount likes they get, some others are  exercising social media immaturely as the meant of cyber bullying. Before the problems become too viral,  “ethical of living online” and stricter supervision of internet usage should be implement to younger kids. Yet, in the application of science to the needs and desires of man, it would seem to be a singularly unfortunate stage at which to terminate the process, or to lose hope as to the outcome.

← Previous post

Next post →

1 Comment

1. WOW! This is a pretty amazing post. I didn’t follow all of your links, but I followed 3, and I found a sentence from your peer’s post and a reading — and you integrate them so well! How long did this post take you to compose? I’d love to hear about it in your Mid-term Blog self-assessment!!