Simmel

In the New York times post, ” Questions Surround a Delay in Help for a Dying Man” we hear about a man who is left for dead in New York after being victim of a stabbing after trying to intervene in a confrontation. The article explains the number of passer byre’s who walked by the man an noticed his limp body but didn’t bother to check on him or notify anybody of his current state. Simmel would blame this on his idea of the Blasé attitude. That money has dulled the individual down and hollows out the core of things and their value. People walked by this man and asked themselves, what would come out of this situation for me if I was to help, there is no monetary value or rational thought for them to help this person because they are indifferent to the situation. What I found most interesting about this article was the reference to Kitty Genovese and wondered where I heard that name before. I remembered hearing her name in a speech in the movie Boondock Saints. The priest describes Kitty’s murder and how people just stood by and didn’t do a thing. The saints go on to take this story as a revelation and realize they need to do something about all the immoral things being done. Even though it is just a movie I feel this could also be tied in with Simmel’s theory.They dealt with the immoral, corrupt and greedy men who have succumb to the Blasé attitude.

One thought on “Simmel”

1. The blasé attitude is shown throughout every day in different scenarios which is amazing how Simmel brought that into his theory. I work at a retail job and I see the blasé attitude shown when some of my coworkers help people with a lack of concern or they do not empathize with the customer. Now this is a smaller scale compared to the witnessing of a death but it is interesting how it applies on a micro level such as work.