Sex Distinction

In today’s society, men and women strive to be the best looking and best in shape they could be in order to try and fit the ideal image of what a man or a woman should look like. This is because the morbid excess of sex distinction. Men try to look like the the ideal “alpha” male, big arms, broad back and toned abs. Women want to look like models; voluptuous breasts, thin waste and a round but. The measures taken to fit these ideals range all the way from simple make up and exercise to growth hormones and plastic surgery. Society has more so put more pressure on women to fit these ideas of the perfect female and what she should look like. It is beginning to start at earlier and earlier ages. We can see this through television shows where mothers dress their daughters up in extravagant dresses and cake their faces up with makeup when the daughters really have no say in this. This is because these mothers feel that they need to have the prettiest little girl in the world and that it gives them a self satisfaction that they have produced such a beautiful child. In reality, nothing really beneficial comes from these shows except giving these children unrealistic goals to be the prettiest girl in the world and most of the time just inflating their ego. This also happens with fathers in sports. If you go watch a Little League or a pee wee football game, it never fails that there is always that one dad who is entirely way too hard on his kid, the one yelling from the stands telling his son how to hit a baseball or throw a football. Because sports are seen as  a reflection of masculinity, a father may feel that if his son is not dominate at sports he will not be dominate at anything else, the sex distinction of males is that of trying to be the best, proving yourself through competition and becoming the so called “Alpha” male.

3 thoughts on “Sex Distinction”

1. I totally agree with your concept of men trying to fit into the shoes of this “alpha male.” I see it with one of my brothers. He has this (completely misconstrued) idea of what being a man really looks like. Unfortunately, I see his habits stemming greatly from my father. It’s disheartening to see how closed minded my brother and father are about how men are to express themselves, and what they can and can not do. Surely, their environment has not done them any justice–with the constant broadcasting and advertising of men who majorly play some kind of sport, with a deep voice, and sculpted body.

2. I really liked how you expressed your views from a male eye lens. The pressure on young males from their coaches and fathers to perform well in sports is a topic that doesn’t get much heat publicly. If a young boy in middle school takes home economics instead of wood shop, he is seen as sensitive and not “manly.” When guys loathe in their feelings, this is unattractive to women. This persona that men aren’t allowed to be “delicate” is a double standard. I hope our generation of parenting will be more accepting to young boys and men who don’t want to be “alpha dogs.”

3. Hey,
    I couldn’t agree more with you that women are pressured into being a size 0 or 2 but men I feel like are always in the shadow. I’ve known a couple of guy friends that go to D1 colleges that have had problems with eating disorders just to stay in shape for season but no one knows because media only betrays women with eating disorder but it effects both genders. Plastic surgery is the biggest want of girls my age especially for bigger breasts. I just feel like the media influences so much on young adults and if they started showing the negatives more young adults wouldn’t do it like the show 16& Pregnant which has decreased young child birth. I just feel like the media needs to calm down on certain issues.