Dahrendorf

After learning about Dahrendorf’s theory of imperatively coordinated associations I couldn’t help but remember an article I read in my global ethics class about the government and media. The government and media coordinate with each other the let out the stories they believe the people should see while making them refrain from publishing the ones they feel they shouldn’t. The government basically blackmailed the media by telling them they would expose their stories and the methods they used to gather them. That it would not be in their best interest to write or show the influence we are making on other countries, how we go there and put in place a system that exploits that countries resources and benefits us. This is to keep the government functioning in the very corrupt way and using their authority to keep themselves from being portrayed in an even more negative light.

4 thoughts on “Dahrendorf”

1. Wow, I knew that the media was biased in the way the presented information to the public, but I never stopped to think why. The fact that its the government blackmailing is very interesting. I wonder if it also has something to do with government officials having positions in the media? Im not sure if their are such officials, but if there were it would be a prime example of imperatively coordinated associations.

2. It’s difficult to say to what extent censorship does good or bad. Censorship is really really easy to abuse, but at the same time, I can understand a situation in which sensitive information, if made public, could cause more harm than good. That’s why certain information is classified by our government. But yes, I suppose it is very likely that more often, the power to censor gets invoked more often than it should. Government ethics is fascinating to me, because it is an example of one arena where people seem to do more bad for a greater good than good for a greater good.

3. The media is a wonderful example of imperatively coordinated associations. You scratched the surface of the relationship between media and government; however, it is much more complex than any of us realize. I am not one to recommend books; but, one book that I read changed my perspective completely, Eric Klinenberg “Fighting for Air: The Battle to Control America’s Media”. The internet makes the media discussion even more complex. It is hard to believe, but there are still places in the United States that still have dial-up internet. For people in those areas, digital tv is also difficult to receive.

4. Dahrendorf asserted that society could not survive without both consensus and conflict: without conflict, there can be no consensus, and although consensus leads to conflict, conflict also leads to consensus. Our society today is constantly being divided into various classes based on common interest/beliefs. People tend to agree to disagree which creates conflict and consensus. I guess that’s why the media exposes certain information just to keep a balance.