Rss

Texting My Dream

For my inquiry project, I’m choosing to focus on GoPro. GoPro is described as “The cinema-grade, panoramic “point-of-view” footage that comes out of a GoPro transforms mere mortals into human highlight reels, without blowing a huge hole in the budget.” It has truly revolutionized the way we film. Anyone can use it to easily capture epic moments whether it be snowboarding, surfing, skydiving, and so much more. Basically you just attach a little camera to whatever platform you want, whether it it the board you’re on, your helmet, or just anywhere really and film your experience hands free. Then, when all of these extreme videos are shared, others can pretty much share the same experience because of the unique point of view.

I want to focus on this because I find it so interesting how the creator came up with such a concept. He took a personal problem and through a lot of hard work and investments, managed to create a useful piece of technology that revolutionized the way people film life’s unique moments. It really goes to show how a simple concept can go a long way.

Here are some links on articles describing GoPro and a video of someone using a GoPro

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2013/03/04/the-mad-billionaire-behind-gopro-the-worlds-hottest-camera-company/

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/22/camera

Comments (4)

1. I think the history of the GoPro is extremely interesting. This is a really cool topic to talk about and I think it will make for a really good inquiry project.

2. […] core feature of this gadget is to see things. This post talks about the use of a primary text being the GoPro. Another primary text I found interesting […]

3. I love the Go Pro, my sister just recently got one for her birthday and we used it during our entire vacation to the Bahamas. I was fascinated by it too, and wondered what the reason for inventing it was. I believe that the Go Pro will become more popular as time goes on because of its small size and huge capabilities. Can’t wait to read more about this!

4. Great! The text is very useful and interesting, though is your focus with it based on the creation of the GoPro or its use? You write, “He took a personal problem and through a lot of hard work and investments, managed to create a useful piece of technology that revolutionized the way people film life’s unique moments. It really goes to show how a simple concept can go a long way.” This seems to imply that the real focus may be based in the phenomenon of creating devices for ubiquitous, accessible use to create very meaningful things. Though, it ALSO seems like the focus here is in the power the GoPro gives the user–ANYONE with the device has the ability to create meaningful connections with others based on documenting their personal experiences. Either way you take it (or some other way) seems valuable. I’m excited to see where it goes.