Final Blog Post!

Here is the link to my project: The Negative Impacts of Social Media on Face-to-Face Interactions   I had a wonderful semester working with all of you guys, and I hope that y'all have a good holiday break. Finally, I wanted to thank Professor Becker for all of his guidance and effort to help us complete this project. It made the entire process much easier.  Read more

New sources and persuasion map

Drussell, John. "Social Networking and Interpersonal Communication and Conflict Resolution Skills among College Freshmen." 1 May 2012. Web. 14 Nov. 2015. This is a scholarly and primary source. It is a research paper that studied social media and its impact on communication and conflict resolution skills. This is a valuable source to my paper because it contains many facts and arguments supporting the idea that social media can be a detriment to face to face communication. For example, they conducted a study that monitored the amount of use of texting and social networking…Read more

Inquiry Project Platform

I chose to create a new page on the rampage website that I have used throughout the course of the semester as the platform of my final inquiry project. This was the best option for me because all of the preparations I have done leading up to the final project can be found here. My work on this website shows everything that I have accomplished thus far. All of the progress, improvements, and skills that I have proven throughout the semester on my website made this the clear choice for the home of…Read more

Sources

"10 Ways Social Media Affects Mental Health."┬áDegreed Atom. 29 Apr. 2015. Web. 5 Nov. 2015. The first source I chose was written by a Public Relations Specialist named Karen Frazier. She separated her argument into sections of what and how social media effects us. She actually talked some areas of our lives that are negatively effected that I would not have thought about. For example, she states that┬áhyper-networking (more than three hours on social networks per day) and hyper texting (more than 120 text messages per day) correlated with unhealthy behaviors in teens,…Read more

Reflection

After reading a few of my colleagues blogs I started to realize how all of this is really starting to come together. We have already found two sources that are forming the foundation of our argument. Soon we will gather the rest of our sources and then we will be ready to complete the project. I think that Maddie's project is advancing quite well. The two sources that she has found thus far seem to really contribute well to her project. I agree with the thought that what fits in a student's schedule…Read more

Connecting Nuggets

"Social media can nurture cowardice. It fuels a sense of bravado and gives us false courage to say things online we would never have the guts to say in person. It also provides an all-too-convenient means of hiding behind playing "pretend" and avoiding harsh realities in our lives. During times we most need to be courageous, social media makes it so easy to be a coward. In fact, as you read this now, millions of people are "connecting" and socializing with people they may never meet in person, all while they fail to…Read more

Nugget #6

http://national.deseretnews.com/article/2235/face-time-vs-screen-time-the-technological-impact-on-communication.html So for my nugget this week I chose an image from the article I obtained from the Deseret News National website. This really grabbed my attention because of the shocking statistics that it discusses. The data used in the statistic was the change from 2011 to 2014, so its fairly recent, but I am sure the numbers have increased even more today. This information tells us that over the course of those three years, the usage of cell phones drastically increased. Not only did text messaging increase, but…Read more

Finalizing My Dream

Overall, last week went pretty well. I was a little worried at the beginning of the week because I had never made a mind map before. After playing around with the website for a little while, I was actually pretty surprised how easy it was to use. Then I went back and read my nuggets, that was very useful in helping me guide my map to the final result. Even though it was only a few weeks ago, I still had to go back and skim over the articles to refresh my memory…Read more

Mapping my Dreamers

So, here is a screenshot of the mind map, as well as a part I had to chop off. The file was too big to export to a PDF due to an image I had in there so that is why it is separated. The part I had to chop off belonged to the " Computers operate quickly" section. Also I screen shot the mind map because it said the link was only good for 24 hours so I was worried y'all may not be able to see it after that. So I…Read more