Presenting my Dream

So last year I had to find a project about something that really grinds my gears. The top two choices were either the food industry or the prison system. While the food industry won that battle last year, I am happy that I have found a reason to talk about our prison system. The web space I chose actually was what opened my eyes to the flaws in our judicial branch, it gave viewers a real reason to yell “F@#$ the Police!” other than their BAC level. My question is what technological/ judicial improvements could be made to decrease incarceration rates while keeping citizens safe from dangerous individuals. It seems to me that if we have the most citizens and foreigners incarcerated that we would realize that this is not an award we should be proud of. I want to research other countries techniques with handling dangerous prisoners, as well as local municipalities. To me, it seems like a waste of an individual to rot in prison when there could be a more productive option.

One thought on “Presenting my Dream”

1. Hi Graham!

One thing you could look at (if you haven’t already) is mandatory minimum sentences (http://famm.org/mandatory-minimums/). They often lead to non-violent criminals being locked up for years, regardless of the context surrounding their crimes. John Oliver did a great segment on the injustice of mandatory minimum sentences on “Last Week Tonight” a little over a month ago.

You might also consider looking at sentencing of non-violent vs. violent criminals. Our culture focuses a lot of putting drug users and drug dealers behind bars, regardless of whether or not they are violent. With changing social opinions about the legalization of marijuana, it’ll be interesting to see if we’ll lock as many people up for drug offenses in the future. Just food for thought!

~Jenny (the librarian)