Pink Tax

After doing some research on the price difference for mens and womens products got me to thinking over the outcome I found. I compared the price difference between products marketed to men and women of the same brands, mostly for self-care or hygiene products. To find that women, on average pay more for the same product by the same brand. These results did not surprise me in fact I expected them because I have heard of the “pink tax” for a while now. A phrase that is said about the price of certain items, to show that women’s products often cost more than mens products. What I found was for items like shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant the price difference was around $.40 to $.50 for the same product except one said for men and the other said for women. I believe that the marketing for a lot of these products is playing into stereotypes. Stereotypes that say women go shopping more and will buy self-care and hygiene products that are more expensive because they are female. So the stores let this stereotype influence the prices they put on certain products. Retailers play into this as well by how they advertise products an. When you look at an ad or go into the store you can see they push the products geared towards women a lot more than the mens. When I go into target there are many isles with products advertised to women while there may be only one or two isles for products advertised to men. Giving women many more options on products, so they may feel as though they are getting the price for that item when in reality men are buying the same product at a cheaper price. For the products I am talking about with  that have price differences are hygiene products. Because when I looked at other gendered items like t-shirts, multivitamins, and flip flops, I found the prices are the same within the same brands. So this could be due to the sexist idea that women take care of themselves and buy any product to do so, while men take a minimal approach to self care. By not take care of themselves as much and willing to buy the bare minimum to do so. After comparing the prices I found that the “pink tax” still exists and items are being marketed this way because of stereotypes on gender.

2 Replies to “Pink Tax”

1. In sociology we learned about the pink tax. You are exactly right how women have to pay more for certain things. One example is healthcare. Women’s healthcare is automatically more money that men. The reason for this is that they have the chance to get pregnant . This is very unfair as not all women are fertile and can produce babies. Also, not everybody has children. Even if they do, they shouldn’t have to pay for all the years that they aren’t pregnant. Another example is underwear. I can get many pairs of underwear for cheap while for women, at victoria secrets they have to pay way more for underwear and bras. This Pink tax is unfair as it discriminates based on gender. I don’t think enough people are talking about it either and it needs to be fixed

2. I have always wondered what was going on with that. As I would walk into a store to buy a razor and the exact same razer would be nearly three dollars more expensive the only difference that I could see was that the razor was pink. I was unaware that the only difference was the color. My mom and sister always complain about going to the store to buy hygiene products such as shampoo and body wash and it costs more than products for me or my dad. The fact that this actually exists is ridiculous, and I am unable to see why? If brands were able to say we added extra stuff to the female versions of our products it wouldn’t be as bad, however the fact that the only difference is a change of color is unacceptable.