National Nutrition Month® Challenge – Week 1

The theme of this year’s National Nutrition Month® is “Put Your Best Fork Forward,” which serves as a reminder that each one of us holds the tools to make healthier food choices.

During this month, the VCU Wright CCTR’s Clinical Research Services (CRS) bio nutrition team will host different activities to increase nutrition awareness.

Week 1 challenge: Tell us in the comments what you do to put your best fork forward.

Participate in NNM activities and you could win a prize!

11 thoughts on “National Nutrition Month® Challenge – Week 1

1. I watch the sugar content of what I eat. It is amazing to realize how much sugar can be consumed. No sugar/low sugar is the answer to eating healthy for me.

2. I put my best fork forward by balancing my plate with healthy choices from all of the different food groups. I also limit my sodium intake and season my food with herbs and spices.

3. I read labels and look for high fiber and protein content and low sugar and sodium. I use fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables in my meal prep. I try for local grown and organic foods.

4. I follow a LCHF (low-carb, high-fat) weight management plan. My goal is to focus on all of the wonderful foods I can/should eat. I am reading more labels and staying away from as much sugar as possible.

5. I put my best fork forward by reading labels and eliminating foods that are too processed and contain high fructose corn syrup. Also, incorporating portion control with a variety of vegetables, healthy whole/wheat grains, and lean meats:)

6. I am trying to cut way back on sugar.. also read labels for trans fats, high fructose corn syrup and don’t buy products if these are in ingredients list, cutting back on refined grains too and eating more whole grains.

7. I put my best fork forward by balancing physical activity, giving my brain breaks, and eating a nutrient dense, varied diet.

8. I try to eat whole foods, as close to their original state/unprocessed as possible. I also try to bring food from home if I know I will be in a situation where I might be tempted to make unhealthy fast food choices!