February 8, 2021

  • Opening Business (happens monthly)
    • Who’s taking notes?
    • Check the reporting link:
    • Addition of New Business to the Agenda
    • Attendance -Fantasy, Jared, Caroline, Amanda, Beth, Irene, Ashley, Vicky, Becka, Josh
  • DFW Analysis Subcommittee – by Feb. meeting meet once to talk about approach
    • Fantasy, LaToya, Amanda, Becka
  • Alan Goodman Talk – April 6, 2021 12:00-1:30 pm
    • Dr. Brooks – VCU Anthropology and Dr. Rector – VCU Anthropology
    • Format?
      • Questions that people submit in advanced and/or questions that people submit and we can choose what would be addressed
        • Create a way of submitting questions that would not necessarily go to the whole audience
        • Questions we can think about in advance that would bridge the gap between anthropology and psychology – maybe ask the department more broadly
          • As part of the RSVP and advertisement
      • Breakout rooms?
    • What are the options for zoom in terms of the number of people in the “audience” that we would need to consider
    • Could the conversation be recorded for the General Education course on Race and Racism?
      • We need to get permission, but this would be welcome!
    • There will be additional time with Dr. Goodman (there is a 5 hour block) for others who are interested to be able to meet
  • Newsletter Subcommittee
    • Aspiration of how often: monthly (when possible)
    • Subcommittee will revisit the format
    • One for Black History month and one for Women’s History month
    • Events for the newsletter — lots of EID related events happening this semester and that it may appear on Faye’s website
      • Do we want to limit psychology-related events? (can come back to this after Faye’s site is up)
    • Content Suggestion: Vietnamese New Year – Culturally-related holidays that could appear in the newsletter with a link to the website that might give a little more information
    • Idea: Suggestions for supporting specific groups tailored to marginalized groups (as a way to make our communication more actionable)
      • Could be an ongoing list (“resource library”?)
      • Highlight and link to community organizations that serve these marginalized groups as another way that people can support
        • Richmond-based vs national (or both)
      • Foundations that offer grants for marginalized Black men and others who are not as represented in the therapeutic space to receive free services
    • Caroline – Posting newsletters on the website
    • For February — newsletter could come out by the end of the month — particularly a message that Black history just isn’t during one month
  • Student-led meeting (Students will message each other and see if there is bandwidth)
    • (An Idea) Cultural Taxation (Amanda): University strategies for protecting BIPOC – we can forward Amanda’s link to the group
      • Articles and some informal feedback (Amanda will send)
      • Discussion about the creation of a GTA assignment related to DEI
      • This can be a topic that is led by students at a meeting next semester
        • Ex. Clinical work with Latinx individuals — these students who speak Spanish are few and they are overwhelmed and overburdened — how can this be addressed
      • How can we ensure that these service-related activities are truly rewarded and not discounted; what are concrete recommendations for the chair and others to
        • Recruiting people from all different groups and identities that really care about these issues as another way or relieving burden from the “if I don’t say yes – who will?”
      • Connecting emotional labor and cultural taxation
      • MCAIC responses also speak to this – a lot of suggestions in the document
  • SAEO support of graduate students as it related to invisible disabilities and mental health (Beth)
    • Beth will reach out and ask so we could understand what is the level of awareness in SAEO of the needs of graduate students
  • Allyship groups in the department (from feedback form):
    • Can groups be more programmatic or institutionalized in our program? (Could be a big reason for being sure that there is always a faculty advisor)
      • A program-led opportunity could be useful especially for the smaller programs
    • Clinical group is currently active (leader: Kelly O’Connor): Psychologist Allies Against Racism (PAAR)
      • For other areas that are interested in convening groups — resources could be shared.
      • Should a subcommittee be formed to begin this initiative sometime in spring 2021?
    • For whatever groups form — explicit discussion that whoever is the faculty advisor– the students feel comfortable being able to “dismiss” the faculty advisor from meetings to be able to have conversations that are just among students
    • Potential Concerns: Coming up with action items (i.e., systemic level recommendations) without critical reflection and analysis; maybe action items are okay but at an individual, critical reflection level are more appropriate — maybe a framework would be helpful (e.g., Rachel Gomez PD on identity and positionality)
    • Composition: What will the space look like with a “revolving door” of membership — is there a way that there could be faculty presence/leadership to lend to continuity (e.g., noting that student bandwidth varies). — Faculty Advisor
      • There may be some challenge in getting faculty to commit because there are a lot of college and university-level groups that are coming up
    • Decisions?
      • Expand the current group or allowing for other programs to start their own group
      • Could the clinical students keep meeting to figure out some things (and goals) and maybe the last meeting of the semester — they could plan to invite other people from other programs
    • PrEDI space to let students get together to have a conversation as a way of not over-taxing PAAR or forcing it to become too big too fast
      • An open forum with breakout subgroups?
    • What is happening at the university level? Is there a way to support this and consolidate efforts?
  • Where is our documentation of important heritage/identity/DEI focused days/months of recognition? If we do not have one or cannot find it, let’s create one and then a mechanism for making sure we send out consistent acknowledgement (via newsletter, website, and other forms?) Caroline) found previous monthly list in our PrEDI google drive
  • MCAIC: Marginalized Clinicians Advocating for Intersectional Change – Student survey report for March meeting
  • Recommendations for the Strategic Hiring Committee feedback from PrEDI
    • PrEDI members be considered for conclusion on future hiring committees (not a requirement but should be a consideration)
      • Concerns about potential burden (yet — it’s also a good idea)
      • What employment related/confidentiality issues come up?
      • Maybe this is not necessary because there will be a trained EDI person serving on every committee as mandated by new procedures
  • Larger conversation about PrEDI as an “ombuds” role versus the “watchdog” role
  • What about more training? Cultural humility AND cultural competence
    • Discussions about social justice, equity, and inclusion
  • A Product for the work that we do
    • Writing an article for Teaching in Psychology?
Privacy Statement