October 13, 2020

Present:

  • Opening Business (happens monthly)
    • Check the reporting link
    • Addition of New Business to the Agenda
  • Committee/Action Item Updates
    • Newsletter Committee: LaToya (create template), Amanda, Ashley, Irene, and Caroline
      • Subcommittee will meet and talk about next steps
        • LaToya set template up and will send it out
        • Subcommittee will make decisions on when the first product is coming out and when the newsletter will come out consistently
      • Discussion from the larger committee
        • Jared to step in for Caroline on newsletter committee (Fantasy will check in with Caroline to see if this is okay) – fine with Caroline
        • Jen will create a folder for articles, resources, upcoming events to be compiled for the newsletter
          • Caroline has sent an email with a possible resource to include
        • IDEA: At the end of the semester, we can send out a recap of what the committee has done and solicit feedback
  • NOTICE: Sending event emails out — when individual members see events that seem consistent with the mission of PrEDI, go ahead and send it out to the listserv. This does not need to wait for PrEDI leadership or group consensus UNLESS you think it is potentially controversial and you need feedback.
  • IDEA: Prepare communication to go out after the election?
  • DISCUSSION: Experiences of GTAs — lots of support of undergraduate students who are under pressure (hearing a lot of students’ personal situations and stories)
    • IDEA: Recognition honoring what they are doing in the newsletter
    • IDEA: Spotlighting someone who is doing something impactful; could solicit suggestions and nominees going forward
      • Committee members could take turns meeting and interviewing to contribute to the feature
    • IDEA: A way to build community? Guidelines or suggestions for GTAs from the online teaching task force (Mary Loos) – Jen will reach out to the committee to ask about some help with this
  • Welcome back email – Thanks Caroline! Thanks all for input!
  • GOTV Emails (Becka & Beth)
    • Positive feedback from the emails
    • 4 weeks to go!
    • Committee Members: If you have any ideas on topics or resources, please reach out to Becka and Beth
      • From Amanda: conversations with family members around voting; Beth thought about an article about listening to others; Josh will send a link from APA to Beth around this topic; Jared has an article about microaggressions in these conversations that he will send to Beth
    • Josh sent email with virtual events — one is happening today that we can send a reminder about
  • Support in response to election event or email
    • IDEA: Suggestion for a video message from the committee in solidarity
    • IDEA: Some event for personal connection (virtual or in person and distanced)
    • IDEA: How to reduce load to cope with the emotional distress of the election [CONVERSATION TO CONTINUE IN EMAIL THREAD TO MAKE A DECISION ON WHAT TO SEND OUT TO FACULTY]
      • Send an email to faculty to have them take a look at assignments and expectations for election week to cancel, adjust, make things optional, etc.
        • Consideration that this is not just about the week of election, but students are struggling now and will continue to struggle — how do you help them catch up? We are in a pandemic — what can be done that is the bare minimum for students to get what they need but also to help them get by.
        • Consideration of the message that the GTAs and professors are also struggling — but not grace extended to them
  • Social Justice Oriented Statement (Discussion with the graduate school) – Irene, Amanda, Josh)
    • Presentation from Irene and Amanda discussing the pros and cons about each of 3 options. Presentation is based on research conducted by Irene and Amanda on what is done at other institutions.
      • Option 3 may take the longest time because it would be done at the college level
      • The hope is that we vote now or soon to be able to present this option at the next faculty meeting and then have faculty vote
    • Vote on options: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdOHfAIHi85armrTd4vBSpim6I4Zk-cvD0QuZtwYwdnkt69ww/viewform?gxids=7757
    • Options can be presented to faculty at the faculty meeting, but we need to draft language to be presented.
    • Irene will change the format of the survey to be anonymous
      • Could also include instructions for the personal statement now
    • Possibility:
      • Someone could present (Josh said that he could do it) and then faculty could receive an email to vote.
  • Reports/Data – LaToya/Josh
    • DFW rates (by course AND by course and race) shared by Josh (can this be shared with the whole committee?)
      • Impressions from eyeballing the data
      • Subcommittee for formal analysis of data and trends?
  • New Business
    • Taking over for Caroline’s duties in updating website (Fantasy will follow up with Caroline) – Caroline happy to continue in this role for now
    • Student Chair
      • Nominations
    • Reporting Link Response from fall 2019/spring 2020
    • Cultural Taxation (Amanda): University strategies for protecting BIPOC
      • Articles and some informal feedback (Amanda will send)
    • IDEA: Creating space for informal feedback
  • Action Items
    • ACTION ITEMS FOR ALL MEMBERS: Take a look back through the meeting minutes (particularly highlighted portions with your names) to attend to any individual action items.
    • NEWSLETTER SUB-COMMITTEE: Meet together, revisiting the minutes for suggestions and preparing for our first newsletter in November (see points about recognizing GTAs). Solicit input from the entire committee as needed in advance of our November 9th meeting to prepare the newsletter for November.
Privacy Statement