Nugget #2: Man- Computer Symbiosis

“If we focus upon the human operator within the system, however, we see that, in some areas of technology, a fantastic change has taken place during the last few years. “Mechanical extension” has given way to replacement of men, to automation, and the men who remain are there more to help than to be helped. ”

251F794A00000578-0-image-a-1_1422408964508

When I read this passage of J.C.R. Lickliders article “Man-Computer Symbiosis” I immediately thought of a quote from Albert Einstein; “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots”. We live in a generation where everything is done online. People can go days without actual human interaction because of sites like Facebook, twitter and apps like snapchat. I have witnessed groups of friends who are all together yet each and every one of them is busy playing on their phones rather than interacting with one another. We no longer need humans to communicate directly but instead we can communicate through the Internet. We can keep all of our friends in the loop by posting pictures on facebook and sending videos of what we had for lunch to a hilarious prank that was done in the office. We don’t need to sit down and talk about how are day went anymore because we can just show you. Our technology is so advanced which is great, but its also frightening because it is slowly but surely taking over regular human interaction.

One thought on “Nugget #2: Man- Computer Symbiosis

1. it took me a minute to figure out how to comment on your posts. (little speech bubble). I’m wondering if your peers are finding the same problem with your theme. I want you to be able to get comments from everyone!

…men there more to help than be helped” — from nugget. But i DO think we are “helped” by the computer, don’t you?