Nugget #3: Augmenting Human Intellect

“The English language since Shakespeare has undergone no alteration comparable to the alteration in the cultural environment; if it had, Shakespeare would no longer be accessible to us.”

images

In “Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework” Douglas C. Engelbart explores the idea of improving humans intellectual intelligence. He explores the nature of intelligence and human’s conceptual framework. In the section, Concepts, Symbols, And A Hypothesis, one statement he states that really caught my interest was the one mentioned above. Despite the small adjustments, like the vernacular, much hasn’t changed in the English Language. The language is still understood through many different generations, and essentially it is still the same. Shakespeare works were written in a way that combines numerous generations, which makes his literary works worth reading. Adults and children throughout the world read and analyze Shakespearean literature even if there is a language barrier.

I also find Engelbarts idea of language and how it adapts to framework of humans interesting because I’ve always questioned how languages first came to be. According to Engelbart, humans created it in an effort to solve the problem of communication. I did a little bit of research on this topic. According to howstuffworks.com, I found that people once spoke the same language. Although we’ll never know whether or not this is true, linguists are still conducting studies on the brains of babies to determine whether or not language or grammar comes hardwired in our heads from birth.