IP: Call For Responses

I am studying whether or not societies perceptions of beauty, influenced by digital media, impact men and women in their professional paths.

Because I want to find out whether or not societies perception of beauty plays a role in determining if one is qualified for a job.

In order to help my readers understand how great of a role digital media plays on impacting the thoughts and ideas of society as a whole.

Research Question: How does digital media influence societies perceptions of beauty, and how do these ideas impact men and women in daily their life?

According to an article on CNN.com, Attractiveness may influence ones salary and even ones prison sentence. The article mentions that society associates pretty people with being “good” meaning they wouldn’t do bad things. The article also mentions Vivian Diller, a New York-based psychologist and author. While Dillar was working on her Ph.D, she would model on the side. Even she stated that in order to be taken more seriously in class, she would remove all of her makeup beforehand. This comes to show that people who are physically beautiful aren’t taken as seriously as someone who is not.

It is no question that the media has changed societies view on many things, one of them being beauty. Not only do we idolize women and men for their “perfect” looks, we aspire to look like them in order to be considered beautiful. However, due to photo-shop, filters and other editing soft wares he bar for beauty has been set unrealistically high. We are surrounded by images on the media that encourage us to change ourselves to fit the perception of beauty. Media companies are hiring stars to promote products that encourage the idea of change, like waist trainers that will decrease waist size and teeth whiteners because your teeth aren’t white enough. According to the article “The Medically Modified Human” The cosmetic surgery industry in the United States is booming, with profits expected to reach $17.5 billion by 2015. All thanks to the media.

Call for responses:

How has the media influenced your idea of beauty and what have you done to modify your look to fit these ideals?

Has your appearance altered the way other individuals treat you? (positively or negatively in any environment)

Have you treated someone better or worse based of off of their physical appearance? if yes, how so?

5 thoughts on “IP: Call For Responses

1. I will admit, there are times where I judged a person by there looks and decided not to talk to them because “they look scary.” It was wrong of me to do so because everyone is different and I didn’t even know the person to deem them as scary. Digital media has influenced my perception on the definition of personal beauty. Like every other girl, I think girls should have a nice body, ideally, with abs, nice butt, and leg muscles. That is all easier said than done. The only reason I think all girls should look like that is because I am exposed to media in which celebrities look like that and I aspire to look like them. I wanted to to achieve that look so I started going to the gym everyday and started eating healthier and being more self-conscious.

2. Of course, I really doubt there’s one woman in the Western world who hasn’t bought into media standards at least once in their lives. We all (men and women) do things to make ourselves prettier, even though what some of us might consider “pretty” is different than what others would. I remember seeing this post on Buzzfeed about celebrities photoshoping their instagram pics and I thought: if not even these supermodels are comfortable with how they look, what hope is there for the rest of us mere mortals?? Here’s the link: http://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodward/this-could-be-how-celebrities-are-altering-their-instagrams#.qgl39aEobG

3. I think digital media has influenced a lot on how society should look. It’s sad because we’re all beautiful in our own different ways but with the rapid growth of digital media there is a lot of photoshopping and a lot of things to done to enhance pictures, even filters on the instagram, twittter, snapchat and Facebook app contribute to this. With this said, it’s hard for people to feel comfortable in their own skin when they see an ad of the new face of cover girl or vogue and they are made to seem completely flawless.

4. I’ve never had a particular interest in resembling another person. I think I was much more influenced as a young girl seeing how girls were portrayed. I can see now that I was affected by the heightened beauty standards.
    When I was in high school, girls my age found me intimidating because of my wardrobe choices. These days, I can see a difference in how I’m treated in the world for because I’m a young female. Adult men will smile at me, but not take me seriously.
    I try my best to treat people equally.

5. Don’t you think women were influenced by beauty standards long before digital media came along? It seems women have been worrying about this for decades. I know students have wanted to write about women and body image for the last 10 years. So what do you think social media brings to this long-standing issue that is different?

You bring up WORK — how attractiveness influences a woman’s career — her pay, her options, her promotions, etc. This may be a different angle for you than just women and body image. Women already struggle with the glass ceiling at work, and the role of attractiveness in hiring and promotion would be interesting to study.
    Are attractive women taken less seriously at work? Do they really get more promotions or better pay? How does attractiveness impact women’s career choices? These are questions that would make your research go in a specific direction rather than the very broad women and body image paper.