Welcome back! I look forward to UNIV 112 and a second semester with you! If we have any new students joining us, welcome! As in UNIV 111, you’ll find all of your assignments and daily announcements and the syllabus on this website. Please spend some time familiarizing yourself with it and let me know if you have questions.

If you don’t have a Rampages blog yet, you’ll need to create one, right away. Please go to Rampages.us and create a new account, then start your blog, and send me the URL once you find your HOME PAGE (email me at eakreydatus@vcu.edu). If you are new to the course, please come see me during office hours, I’m happy to help you with this. If you already have a blog from another class, you are welcome to continue blogging on that, send me the URL. Just don’t delete your old posts–the whole point is to preserve your work for posterity.

For everyone: in class on Friday, we’ll discuss an essay called “A Palestinian’s Daily Commute,” in the FI Reader. Please read this article and summarize it on your blog for Friday’s class. Also, please remember your first big assignment is to carefully read The City and the City, by China Mieville. If you haven’t bought this book and started reading yet, I strongly recommend you start immediately! You will be asked to complete the book and share your notes next week. Specifically, I’ll want to see evidence of some form of annotation–this could be comments on post-its, in margins w/ underlining, or a separate typed up set of chapter summaries w/ page references. It’ll need to be comprehensive, so don’t just read and summarize the first half of the book! You’ll be using these notes to guide you through the TWO assignments we’re going to do using this book, so make sure your notes are helpful!

As a brief preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSUhGhn8vOo