About MaryElizabeth

I am currently a third year student in Virginia Commonwealth University’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program and will graduate in May 2020. In May 2017 I graduated from James Madison University with a B.S in Exercise Science with a focus in Kinesiology. During my time at JMU I competed as a scholarship student-athlete earning all-conference honors and served as co-captain my senior year.

My experience as a swimmer that struggled with many overuse injuries led to my interest in physical therapy. I was first introduced to the profession when I was diagnosed with hypermobility at the age of nine. As the years passed, my physical therapist remained dedicated to helping me overcome the many injuries and obstacles that have been placed in front of me allowing me to reach my full potential as a swimmer. My journey in physical therapy was not an easy ride, thus as a physical therapist I want to inspire and support my patients to overcome any obstacles they may face. In my future I hope to work in a general outpatient orthopedic setting with a focus on sports rehab. I have a special interest in young athletes, specifically swimmers, suffering from overuse injuries that occur from early specialization and education on preventative measures at the coaching level. 

This blog was created as part of our Professional Development curriculum throughout our DPT program at VCU to reflect on our experiences as a student and our growth during our four clinical rotations.

Resume M.Warhol