• Chapter 2: the room
    • “I imagined it for one moment the work of some hellish artist, who had decided to create a study in emerald”
  • Page 4
    • First Sherlock doesn’t let the “rache/Rachel” thing go for too long
    • Cares kind of deeply about Watsons feelings after seeing a royal…though dead (asks Watson if he’s ok, needs a walk, mentions he was trembling)
  • DIFFERENCES/“ORIGINAL IDEAS”
    • Changed the original study in scarlet story by adding this huge bowser type queen and her nephew
    • A scene with Watson at a rundown but talented opera the queens nephew (prince Franz) used to visit…also “prince Franz”? France? Coincidence? I think not.
    • Sherlock disguises himself by introducing himself to an actor as being from the “new world”.
      • “new world” concept seems to be a big deal as it is mentioned multiple times on pg 6
        • (UPDATE) I WAS RIGHT! “…there are those who do not believe that the coming of the Old Ones was the fine thing we all know it to be. Anarchists to a man, they would see the old ways restored-“ (8)
        • Blasphemy of the English monarchy
    • Is this a magic queen? She touches Watsons afghan war wound and at first he feels immense pain but then it goes away and he narrates, “… for the first time since Afghanistan, I was free form pain.”
      • Maybe this is to idealize/romantize the queen and what a queen “could” do/can do?
    • The reason for this crime is different than the study in Scarlett reason and the explanation/uncovering of truth also is very different but there are smilier undertones. So it is in a way its own story, but very much fan fiction as we know it today.
  • Sherlock holds onto Watsons arm and leads him toward the queen…cute.
  • Feels like a lot of random facts about Sherlock have been gathered from Conan Doyle’s canon and stuffed into this version.
    • “Quick change artist” pg 5
    • “…young street Arab who earn a crust running errands” pg 8
  • Smoking scene between sherry vernet and Sherlock made me feel like Nancy drew. Sherlock’s going to compare the ash of what they are smoking to what he picked up and put into a “glass vile” at the crime scene isnt he.
  • “… perhaps telling what might have happened if people had had no Royal Families to look up to – a world of barbarism and darkeness – .” (7)
  • Foreshadowing?: “As I unlocked the door, my friend said, ‘Odd. Our cabbie just ignored that fellow on the corner.’ ‘They do that at the end of a shift,’ I pointed out. ‘Indeed they do,’ said my friend” (7)
    • Sherlock is never wrong, the cab driver is probably the “limping doctor” he is looking for
    • (UPDATE)  RIGHT AGAIN! “Incidentally, while you are correct that the streets of London have ears, it might also behoove you in future not to take the first cab that comes along. Cab drivers have ears too, if they choose to use them.” (9)
  • “I must warn you not to be such a fathead,” (8) LOOOOOOL
  • A letter from Vernet exposes the Prince’s disgusting habits with women (considering he frequented brothels this isnt shocking but hearing how the letter says this is ..troubling) “…he would have feasted on her madness while he took her, like a man sucking the flesh from a ripe peach leaving nothing behind but the skin and the pit” (9) EW
  • Why didn’t Watson follow sherlocks order to burn the letter? Right after Sherlock tells him to do so, Watson narrates, “And I should have burned it.” (9)
    • Creepy, the doctor (the killers accomplice) is named J.Watson and was also in Afghanistan.
    • This is definitely a tactic to A. Keep readers reading this version and B. Have something to draw back to/relate to in later stories.
  • WAIT IS THIS VERNET SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THE PROFESSOR IN CONANS VERSION?! “I doubt my friend will leave it alone, though; it will not be over until one of them has killed the other.”
  • Okkkkkk. I am impressed-ish/satisfied with the ending, though I hope not ever single one of these stories by Gaiman end this way. I think its good as a first and maybe the last can have this same kind of wholesome, all encompassing ending. But I would find it annoying if every single one of the mini Sherlock stories ended like this.