Its been a while since I’ve gotten the chance to read a comic book. Well. Its been a while since I’ve been able to read anything I really have wanted but “A Study in Black” felt very much like the graphic novels I loved to read oh so long ago. I don’t know if I had any expectations or felt really strongly about any specific quirks of Holmes having to be in it, but I did get excited every time I saw certain words/names mentioned. Like the street Holmes lives on (Bakers St), or Holmes calling the children who help him with his detective work on the streets, “irregulars”, and even his brother being named Mycroft. That last point was a bit funnier to me because almost as if to wink at readers, the narrator (Jon Watson) cheekily says, “Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes? This was getting interesting.” (59) I thought just the same. I saw how the author of this story gave the characters more Black vernacular which allows you to see and hear each character much better as Black characters in the society that they live in. I think if they had carried over Doyle’s language this story would have had to have been set in a different place and maybe a different time. This version of a Sherlock Holmes story to me seems very much like an appropriate way of creating a fanfic. It’s respectful and stays true to the character that is Sherlock and at the same time allows Black people to live within a world were Sherlock is Black. This was a fun read.