NFL Free Agency so far

This years’ NFL free agency could be easily summed up in one word: unpredictable.  We’ve seen many surprising moves and many of the NFL’s biggest names switching teams.  The free agency period, mainly known as the official start of the new league year and for when players can actually sign their contracts, began on March 13th at 4:00 PM EST.  However, the “legal tampering” window, which allows team to negotiate contracts with free agents but they cannot sign to that team, began just two days before on the 11th.  Needless to say, this week has been one of the busiest weeks in the last several years that I’ve been following football.

As far as all the signings/trades that have been made, I’ll only name the biggest ones that have been receiving the most attention.  Those major signings/trades are: Odell Beckham Jr. traded to the Browns, Antonio Brown traded to the raiders, Leveon Bell signing with the Jets, Nick Foles signing with the Jaguars, Landon Collins signing with the Redskins, and literally so many more huge signings/trades have taken place in the last week.  Now, I won’t go into depth with all these signings/trades (because that would make this blog post a book and I know that most of you reading probably don’t care) but believe me when I say all of these changes will have huge impacts on the upcoming season.

Now time for my weekly tidbit on my own team, the Panthers.  Unfortunately, the Panthers are notorious for never doing anything in free agency, as Carolina is a team that likes to build through the draft and the development of players that way.  However, the Panthers made a couple of signings that really made me excited for this season.  They signed Matt Paradis, former Denver Broncos center, to a 3-year deal, wiping away a crucial need at the center position.  Paradis is known for being one of the best centers in the league, and was on the Broncos when they actually beat the Panthers in Super Bowl 50.  They also re-signed Darryl Williams, our left tackle that didn’t play all of 2018 due to some knee injuries.  Williams was a 2nd team All-Pro in 2017, so theres no doubt about his upside as a player, his durability is in question however, which the Panthers basically noted by only giving him a one year contract.  Now even though these are “pretty” signings, we addressed two areas of need and now all signs point to us drafting a defensive end in the draft, another spot where we desperately need a star.

As far as you guys, who did your team pick up? Do you approve or disapprove?  Where do you think other free agents are gonna go?

Be First to Comment