Food and Richmond

Adjusting to Richmond has been an interesting experience. It can be a struggle sometimes to find things to do even though it’s a large city. One major aspect of my life that has been influenced is my relationship to food. Before moving to Richmond, I would spend a lot of time in the Kitchen. I loved cooking new recipes and using things from my garden. I found cooking relaxing and fun. However, living in a dorm has limited how much time I spend cooking food. With no Kitchen to use, I now spend most of my time in front of a screen. Living in a dorm has also influenced the food I eat.
Being a freshman living on campus we must deal with the swipe program. Personally, I don’t like it. It’s not cheap, not very healthy, and unlikely that you will get through all your swipes and dining dollars before the semester ends. Majority of places that take swipes are fast food like Panda express or Taco bell. I know there are some healthy places like Croutons or Freshii but that would get boring very quickly. Don’t get me wrong, I do like these places, but only eating at the same ten places for many weeks will make you dislike the food. Another thing I don’t like about the swipe program is that it discourages students from trying local restaurants. I understand if people are unable to get local food because of financial limitations. However, I recommend students, if they are able, to explore the restaurants and food trucks in Richmond.
Since I don’t really cook right now, I have been trying a lot of local food. During the weekend I will usually pick places I’m interested in trying. Sometimes I will also ask people if they have any suggestions. Then I will either walk there, take the bus, or just order delivery through Grubhub or Yelp. Not only do I get good food, but it also forces me to explore the city more. It makes me think of places I want to eat at when I am no longer on the swipe plan next year. I have also met some of the nicest people while doing this, especially at food trucks. An example would be Mobile Munchies. MM is a tropical food truck near Harris hall and is owned by a great couple that serves healthy wraps and drinks. The couple loves to talk and make you feel welcomed. Some other nearby restaurants I recommend are Rosita’s taco shop, Pupatella, Hibachi box, and 821 cafe. I am also looking for suggestions for other places to try.

2 Replies to “Food and Richmond”

1. I agree with everything you said. I hate using swipes and dine in dollars because of how unhealthy the food you can get with them is. Also, I have tried several food places in Richmond and they are all so good. There are many great food places downtown or at Carytown. Living in a dorm also limits us to do many things. We have to go to the kitchen on another floor if we actually want to cook for ourselves. Which is why I personally can not wait till I am out of the dorm and living in a house with my friends next year.

2. I can relate to this so much. I love to cook so much literally every time I go home I cook dinner because I miss cooking. I do have the opportunity to cook here because down the hall there is an oven and a stove but, as you said, I have a swipe plan that I have to use as much as possible before the end of the semester. and the “fake Walmart”, as I have heard it called, does not exactly have a lot of options for home cooking that I have seen besides microwavables and rice…also I am scared that I will set off the fire alarm. I also love trying new things but I have not been to that many restaurants around here simply because of my meal plan which is sad because there are so many good looking places around here that I would love to try but I can wait until sophomore year.