Netflix and Binge

There have been many times where I have not moved for hours on a weekend just to binge watch a show on Netflix. It’s not hard to forget how long you have been watching a series or cluster of movies only to find out that its dark outside. This habit has also become more frequent during my freshman year of college. After working on assignments for hours, you would think that I would want to move around or go outside. When enough people though talk about how great a show is, others will want to experience that excitement which leads them into hours of looking at a screen. This creates popular shows like Stranger Things or You to be the most binged watched shows on Netflix.

I have been noticing this more while watching the entire series of Game of Thrones. With so many episodes, it would take a while for someone to watch the entire show, especially a busy college student. I know I need to focus on my work, but I want to know what happens next in the story. This past week I have found myself watching the show while I was working on my source play. I would like to think I am good at multitasking, but I know I cannot focus on both the show and my homework. Sometimes, I would miss important scenes in the show, or I would get distracted from my work for too long. At what point would a show be considered no longer relaxing, and instead a negative thing? I don’t believe that my habits are bad, but I know it’s possible to become addictive.

I knew someone who would re-watch the entire series of The Office over and over again. It takes 77 hours to watch the entire series. As soon as he finished the last episode, he would immediately start watching the first one. He could tell you the exact episode and time of when important things happened. I never understood why he would do this. It took up so much of his time and seemed to prevent him from doing any work. Binge watching a show can be a great way to connect with friends or other fans. It can be relaxing for the pressure of the past week. Binge watching can be good if done in moderation. I believe that “binging” a show should be enjoyable but should never be negative to one’s wellbeing.

5 Replies to “Netflix and Binge”

1. Binging a show is great and I have found myself doing it on multiple occasions. A lot of times as you said you get so caught up and want to know what happens next in the story. I think some downfalls to doing this however is that you miss out on valuable time of your life. Before you know it it’s dark outside and a whole day has went by. With only 24 hours in a day sometimes I feel like I wasted it by gluing my eyes to the tv.

With that being said, some shows I recommend to watch are How to Get Away With Murder, Black Mirror, and Power. What are some suggestions you have?

2. I agree that I have definitely been binge watching Netflix more in college. I think it is because I am so stressed out after doing work that I give myself the long break I feel I deserve. I is crazy how you can finish a whole season in one day from when you wake up and next thing you know it’s dark outside. I have been watching The Office lately and it has been nice since it has multiple seasons I can watch it for hours on end without finishing it. I think binge watching is so relaxing to us because we can turn off the lights and lay in our beds. We have the comfort of our environment where we distress from our busy lives.

3. I did the same thing I would find myself watching Game of Thornes like all day. Luckily for me it was over the summer, so I didn’t have any school work. So, my day would go like this, I would get home from work and just watch till I went to sleep. At the end of every episode there would be a little teaser to make me want to keep watching so I did. I wasted like 60 or 70 hours that summer. But I feel like it was worth it a little because now I know about it and can watch the new ones with my friend when I couldn’t before. That is really the only show that I have done it with though, so that good. Overall I liked your blog a lot I think that it is well written.

4. This happened to me a lot last semester, and still this semester too. Right as I got Netflix last semester, I watched shows and movies whenever I wanted to, but what got me to binged a lot was when they added FRIENDS. Right as I saw it, I immediately started to watch it, and it lead to binge watching, and procrastinating on my work. Binge watching is good when you don’t have much stuff to do, but it is not easy to do while you are a college student. I also gave my parents their own Netflix background, because they let me pay and have Netflix, and I wanted to return the favor for them. My mom and dad would watch like one or two shows at night, or even a movie before they go to bed. They keep better schedule on Netflix shows than me.