Schizophrenia

Have you ever hallucinated? If you have, you were probably terrified and tried to do whatever to stop these hallucinations. Did you know that people who suffer from schizophrenia live with these hallucinations constantly? Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech and behavior.

For males, one usually develops and is diagnosed which schizophrenia around their late teens and early 20s (16-20). In females, one usually develops and is diagnosed which schizophrenia around their mid-teens and mid-20s (15-25). Some symptoms of schizophrenia are delusions, hallucinations and illusions, lack of emotional expression, disordered thinking, and inappropriate reactions.

What really interests me is what causes schizophrenia. Did you know that doctors still haven’t found a cause for schizophrenia? However, there are many factors that contribute to the cause of schizophrenia. One being brain chemistry, abnormal functioning neurotransmitters such as dopamine. Also, another factor that leads to the cause of schizophrenia is hereditary, so it runs in the family.

As far as treating schizophrenia many people are prescribed antipsychotics, also known as neuroleptic medications. However, it can be hard to treat something when the person who is receiving the treatment isn’t taking the medication. Did you know that three-quarters of schizophrenic patients stop taking their medication? The reason the patients stop taking the medication is because it didn’t do anything to help cope with schizophrenia, or they had many negative side effects. Also, some patients don’t think there is anything wrong with them, so they may stop taking their medication.

Growing up I had a schizophrenic cousin. She was older than me, but her mental age was younger than me. I remember at every family event she would tell us she got a new job, and it would always be a different profession. The most fascinating thing is that she 100% believes that she is that profession and no one can tell her otherwise. As a young kid, I will always try to tell her no that she is not what she thinks she is and they would get very angry. I remember one time I was trying to tell her that there is nothing there and she full on tried to attack me. My dad had to pull her back and I was very scared and traumatized.  Then, my dad had a conversation with me in which he explained to me what schizophrenia is and that my cousin had it. Overall, schizophrenia is a terrible mental illness and changes everything about someone. Do you know anyone who suffers from schizophrenia?

6 Replies to “Schizophrenia”

1. I absolutely love this blog for the reason being that I love psychology. My mom would tell me how we had a schizophrenic uncle that would keep a knife under the hat that he wore because he always felt people were out to get him. It is truly fascinating how the human brain can trick itself to do this. Not to mention how scary it could be for a person who has this disorder. I can only imagine how you felt in the situation where you were almost attacked by your cousin not knowing what you did wrong. But I do believe that with time they will hopefully figure out what it is that is causing this mental illness to occur so that it can be treated. This to me is one of my top two interesting disorders because there is a lot of room for question such as how could this occur? How would a person respond if they were treated for their schizophrenia and could finally live a normal life without negative effects? There are many questions that could be asked about this disease that you wonder how come nobody has found a cure for it yet.

2. My older brother suffers from schizophrenia, he was diagnosed when he was 19 years old. It was a confusing period in my life when I saw him go through so much and not understand what he was going through. I have try my best to educate myself on the mental illness and be there for him when he needs someone. Thank you for sharing your story, I learned more through your post.

3. I also have a family member who is diagnosed with Schizophrenia. His parents had a lot of trouble dealing with his disease at first, but after taking him to the doctor and getting him on proper medication he seemed to improve. I don’t believe he has ever gone off his medication, like most schizophrenic people do. I’m really happy that you were able to open up and talk about someone you care about and their illness. It makes it a lot easier for other people to open up about themselves.