As We May Think Nugget

“One can now picture a future investigator in his laboratory. His hands are free, and he is not anchored. As he moves about and observes, he photographs and comments. Time is automatically recorded to tie the two records together. If he goes into the field, he may be connected by radio to his recorder. As he ponders over his notes in the evening, he again talks his comments into the record. His typed record, as well as his photographs, may both be in miniature, so that he projects them for examination.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1945/07/as-we-may-think/303881/

I found this paragraph really interesting because the author was predicting what the future will be like in 1945. That was approximately 70 years ago. They were thinking how to make human life better and more convenient. They had the idea then we actually did it. We invented smart phone, computer, camera, recorder etc. In contemporary century, smart phone are getting more and more useful. We are improving it. From heavy to light, thick to thin, keyboard to touch screen. The time is flying and the technology is changing. It starts replace camera and recorder.

2586f63

(http://neilchughes.com/2014/09/07/smartphones-does-size-matter/)

In the article “9 views on how technology can transform research and open up science” (http://www.elsevier.com/connect/9-views-on-how-technology-can-transform-research-and-open-up-science) It shows how the technology helping science. The article gives example of crowdsourcing, gaming and crowdfunding, Now people can have their own idea about science and share it with others by using technology.

So now, what author predicted in his article come true. A scientist or anyone, now can use their phone to take pictures, to record lecture, to write note, to take video and so on so forth. This fact also give me an idea about, if the former can predict what we are having now, why can’t we predict what we will have in future? Maybe there will be robots in everyone’s house, maybe there will be an automatic parking lot, maybe there will be flying cars, etc. Anything we can think of, we all can try to make it come true. There is no limitation of technology, so does human’s wisdom.

(https://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/perl14/2014/10/10/that-is-totally-different/)

8 thoughts on “As We May Think Nugget

• August 28, 2015 at 12:45 am

The author predicted a lot of innovations of the future in this article. If you think about it, the author predicted innovations for the year of 1945, majority of the things he predicted were invented around that time. His predictions were so accurate that it amazes me!

• August 28, 2015 at 8:12 am

It is amazing how someone 70 years ago was able to predict about the advances in technology we have now. I also wonder what someone can predict about our future, if its possible we can have any more advances.

• August 28, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Technology really is amazing, and it advances so fast I can hardly keep up with it. Google already has a self-driving car, so I imagine we’re not too far from having a flying one. I can see the campaigns already: Don’t text and fly!

• August 28, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I agree with you. I believe we can do anything we put our minds to. If a man 70 years ago could predict the future of today, why can’t we predict the future 70 years from now? There are endless inventions today and in the years coming, I foresee many more coming about to make our lives easier.

• August 28, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I think this is great because it makes you really think about what will happen in the future and how long it will really take for us to come up with new advances and such. Technology in fact has played a major role not only to help us in our every day lives but also affecting us a group of persons in every day life.

• September 1, 2015 at 12:44 am

It does seem like he predicted that a future investigator would have these abilities, but I’m not sure if he really meant it would be just one device that had all of these different purposes.

• September 4, 2015 at 2:03 am

It’s fascinating to know that there is so much more innovating that can be done in regards to technology. 10 years ago the thought of nearly everyone on the planet owning a “smartphone” was pure imagination. Who knows what new inventions will come out in the next 10 years, I can’t even imagine because technology advances so fast.

• September 5, 2015 at 10:39 pm

When I first read that passage, what immediately came up to my mind was a Google Glass. A hands-free device acts upon voice commands and is capable of taking pictures, recording videos, and many other features. I wonder what will be the next stage of our technology.