Analyzing the Obvious

The ocean is blue

22:31

Why is the ocean blue? (Because fish goes “blue blue blue”)

屏幕快照 2015-09-06 下午11.32.21屏幕快照 2015-09-06 下午11.32.02屏幕快照 2015-09-06 下午11.31.48

First of all, the reason why ocean is blue is depends on the absorption of sunlight. ” In water, absorption is strong in the red and weak in the blue, thus red light is absorbed quickly in the ocean leaving blue.” (http://science.nasa.gov/earth-science/oceanography/living-ocean/ocean-color/)

I feel like I worked the same way as the last Wikipedia activity. Computer has endless knowledge, but I am controlling the computer by knowing what I should research. It’s like the same process when we were working on the Wikipedia. I look for something interested me then question what it is. I wouldn’t usually question something if I already had answer for it.

I came up some random “leaps” such as radiation and neuropathic. These “leaps” actually have nothing to do with my statement. I just found that it might be interesting to know about it. Honestly, i feel like I am restricted by doing this assignment. I was just going through a process which require me to read then come up with a question about what i just read. The process just like a repetition. I wouldn’t prefer to do my research paper in this way because it distracts me. It leads me to a totally different area of knowledge. Yes, I learned stuff from reading all the answers to my questions, but on the other hand, I was reading something which is not the answer to my original question. I figured out a better way to do research by having sub-questions at the beginning and looking for different answers to those sub-questions which answer the main topic. I’m not sure if it’s because that I’m not fully understand the propose of this activity or I’m just not a formative researcher. So at the end, I decided to come up a different question which is not associated with the last reading. I think the last question I had was more meaningful compare to the first question which came from the “obvious” statement, but it still kind of relates to the “obvious” statement.

I thought a lot after I finished the activity. I think sometimes it depends on how the researcher research. If I keep questioning questions which relates to the “obvious” statement. I might not had those “leaps” and being distracted. Computer is just a tool. We need to know how to use it in a better way.

computer animated GIF

(Just for fun. This angry panda is me when I don’t work well with the computer.)

4 thoughts on “Analyzing the Obvious

• September 7, 2015 at 9:43 am

I like the Panda gif. Maybe shows your frustration with this assignment?

You write: “I figured out a better way to do research by having sub-questions at the beginning and looking for different answers to those sub-questions which answer the main topic.” I think this is a pretty good strategy. And I hear you on your frustration with this search — in that the search lead you astray several times, and this felt distracting. I DO think research is often like this — if you are genuinely searching for easy “answers” — these are not easy to find sometimes because you get distracted.

Also — your research question should not be an obvious one — but one that you are not able to answer in an easy Google search. Good post.

• September 8, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I really like this post. I like the way you analyzed the “effectiveness” of this assignment and how helpful or not helpful the questioning method is to researching.

• September 8, 2015 at 10:08 pm

I appreciate your honesty. I feel a little lost with the assignments too, mostly because they feel unnatural to me. When I need something from google, I look only that one thing up and then go back to doing what I was doing. But I think it’s good practice for our Inquiry Project, so might as well do the best we can.

• September 16, 2015 at 7:19 pm

I like this post especially since i relate to it. I started mine out the same way…i found the answer to my original question and didn’t really know what to do next. It consisted of a lot of sitting there and staring at the screen i found my answer on. However, once I thought of the next question, the ball really started rolling. It’s a frustrating assignment but its great practice for our IPs.