IP Call for Response

I am studying art

Because I want to find out what is art today? What can be considered as art?

In order to help my reader to have a more clear definition of art and know how to appreciate art.

Research question: How the definition of art changed over time?

The first source i found was written by Elizabeth in June 4, 2013 on her blog named “What Art Movement are We in Today?” She addressed three different kinds of art today: digital art, activist art and social art movement . Digital art is sharing art thought the technology we have today. Advertising, commercial or those illustration on the website are all considered as digital art. Activist art is the art has a certain purpose such as changing the society. For example, the Chinese artist ai weiwei. He is not only an artist but an activist who trying to make the country better though his art work. The last one is social art movement. Obviously, it’s called social art because it is for socialize such as those “art” photos on the Instagram.

The second source I found is an article written by Seth Price called “Dispersion“. Honestly, I didn’t fully understand it. It is confused, but there is one paragraph tells me what art is before: “Reflecting on his experience running a gallery in the 1960s, Dan Graham observed: ‘if a work of art wasn’t written about and reproduced in a magazine it would have difficulty attaining the status of ‘art’. It seemed that in order to be defined as having value, that is as ‘art’, a work had only to be exhibited in a gallery and then to be written about and reproduced as a photograph in an art magazine.’ ”

By reading and comparing these two articles, I see how art changed by time. Around 1960s or even before that, art has a strict definition, not everything can be defined as art unless it was written about on the imagine and exhibited in the gallery. However, the definition of art today become more and more broad. One reason is because we now have art works with technology which ancestor did not have. To me it seems like everything in the gallery is art even sometimes you just drop your food on the floor then people will still think it’s art and pretend like “oh yeah i got this idea!” Everything can be defined as art as long as you have a nice interpretation.  Now I’m curious about where the line is for the art, what the purpose for art is and also I want to do more research on the ancient art to figure out the evolution of art.

CALL FOR RESPONSES:

1. What you think art is?
  2. Do you think art can change the society?
  3. Do you think commercial is art as well?
  4. What kind of work do you think that shouldn’t considered as art?
  5. What do you think is art in your daily life?

6 thoughts on “IP Call for Response

• September 19, 2015 at 6:37 pm

I think defining art is hard but it’s something that you know what it is once you see it. That is especially true with modern art where an artist can take a common object and call it art just for the sake of it.

• September 25, 2015 at 8:55 pm

It is very hard to define what is art because art is unique to each individual. Your research question is asking for the history of art in way because you are wondering how has art changed over time. It may be hard to research that because, as mentioned before, the definition of art is different to everyone.

• September 28, 2015 at 5:45 pm

I think art is everything and anything can be art. It is difficult to define because it’s not something that is so specific and there’s really no way of describing it (in my opinion) because what may be art to me may not be to you. I think this topic is great though because you can go a lot of way with this question.

• September 28, 2015 at 8:14 pm

I think art is anything that is made with intention. Baking can be an art, dentistry can be an art, parenting can be an art. Art meant to be consumed with the eyes is visual art.
    #2 is hard. I think art can define and bring awareness and make you feel something, but I don’t know if it can change anything.
    I had very little respect for advertising until I began watching Mad Men. Art and money will always mix strangely.
    I don’t think anything that the creator considers art can be called not art.

• October 7, 2015 at 4:03 pm

I encourage you to listen to your peers when they say that a paper that sets out to define art is a difficult question to really research with any certainty. I thought you were looking at how technology has impacted public perception of art? (I may be remembering this wrong). But having a narrow focus will help you Jaffey. What is art is sort of like asking what is love. I mean, how can you possibly answer that in a one half-semester project? You’ll need a more narrow focus for sure!