Concept Expensive 8

Marina said:”In Brazil they had the national “SATs” which had, for the first time, two questions (one MC and one essay, which is the most valuable part of the test point-wise) about Feminism. The organization behind the test made millions of young adults think about topics such as violence against women, sexual assault, misogyny and so on. This would have never happened 10, 15 years ago, and a lot of people credit this societal change to the people who use the Internet to denounce the ever-so common “machismo” that women suffer from daily in Brazil.” She gave an example to prove that people online can even change the culture so that now people in Brazil can talk about feminism and women issues and even have a test question about it. I know internet is powerful, but i never thought it could literally change something like what i mention in my own comment, the Chinese government would block you from seeing new about feminism. I always like to compare two different culture because this is my advantage. I know how China is and now see how the United State is. Sometime i admire these countries where people can really make a change no matter in real life or online. At least if they work toward it, they will make a difference. But as a Chinese, I can’t, at least not that easy and at least not online. To be an online activism or slactivism seems impossible to me. In this case, internet just a tool to relax. In my own final project, i hope i can add my own experience in it.

Key concept:

• “Online organization, offline action”
  • “A place for marginalized minds”
  • social medias give you more audience (followers) or antis as a public platfrom

He was very clear about his key concept. Honestly i think that the titles of each sections are his key concepts. I summarized two sections (the naysayers, a feminist forum for the masses) into the last concept I wrote. When i read it again, i think that all these concepts are the climax. He’s really passion about this topic. I can’t pick any specific sentence because i think his article is calling for attention on feminism and addressed that we should take social media as a platform seriously. He wants his voice to be heard.

He didn’t lose me as a reader at all because each sections are closely concentrate to the main idea of his article. I am most interested in that he made me realize that even if the online world is virtual, but those people who at the computer can change the real world through the network. Just like how he addressed his topic, feminism is a real world issue but gets attentions online.

One thought on “Concept Expensive 8

• November 11, 2015 at 11:08 am

I agree that Justin hints at his key points in the headings of his online essay. That’s an effective organizational strategy you can use also!